How can I convince someone that weekly 50% wc isn't dangerous?

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
My WCs are to keep my nitrates super low - I shoot for 5. As I remove some of the fish I choose not to keep, my WCs will decrease. I've let the tank go for 3 days & nitrates only got up to 10. Ammonia & nitrite are never present.

I only do this for juvie fish that I'm trying to grow-out.

thacarter546

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Midwest
I do a 20% water change twice a week. My tank is overstocked and it keeps everything in check. I am overfiltered. I am growing out a few fish so my feeding is regular although not crazy overboard once a day 6 days a week three different foods each time. Usually a few minutes before lights out so my catfish eat properly.

A 20% water change twice a week still keeps nitrates in check and in my current situation a water change means lugging water around 5 gallons at a time. So not my idea of fun. I am lazy on checking parameters and check maybe once every one to two months.

I had two filters die on me recently so Ive changed my routine a little bit but I still dont change more than 20% at a time as it is too much hassle. Turning the heater off, which requires resetting the controller every time. Turning off all four filters. Losing siphon on all four filters. and lugging gallons of water around manually.

I also leave for a few weeks during each year for a week at a time. during that time they get bi daily feedings of flake (I hate flake food) and no water change for a week.

Thats my philosophy on it anyway. If my system cannot go a week without maintenance 3-5 times a year its not possible for me to keep it.

808_fairladyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Hilo, Hawaii
+1, a drip/overflow system slowly exchanging 50% of water equivalent to the size of your aquarium would minimize the shock factors of conditions stated above.

My Xbox gamer tag: xXclusive808x. Run & gun baby!

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
+1, a drip/overflow system slowly exchanging 50% of water equivalent to the size of your aquarium would minimize the shock factors of conditions stated above.

My Xbox gamer tag: xXclusive808x. Run & gun baby!
Very true. I run one and will never not run one again.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

doubledragon

The House Of Endlie
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
ohio
Awesome thread, def a lot of great points in this thread.
Glad I stumbled across it. Thank's op.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store