how can some people keep their fish without water test kits?

patrickcostarica

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2014
Costa Rica
Can't believe the red-tailed black shark hasn't bitten off those long flowing angelfish fins. I had a red-tailed in with some of my aggressive fish and had to take it out because it kept shredding fins... of my baby OSCAR.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
you like so many of us suffer from the dreaded MTS, there is no cure, you can only treat the symptoms.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Question for folks that answer sick fish questions, whats the first question you ask of a OP that has a sick fish.

BCherdingthefish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2012
California, USA
Can't believe the red-tailed black shark hasn't bitten off those long flowing angelfish fins. I had a red-tailed in with some of my aggressive fish and had to take it out because it kept shredding fins... of my baby OSCAR.
She never harmed them, if she was going to beat up someone it would be the eartheaters, and even then she didn't go for fins. Unfortunately she jumped to her death about a week ago during the move to my new house, I was heartbroken and cried like a baby :(

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
:headbang2

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
Your suppose to test your water!! No body told me that.. :(

Just kidding. No I don't have any test kits never test my water even when I set up a new tank never test it. I do have digital Ph monitors on my tanks. So I do know what my ph is 24hrs a day.
When you keep fish as long as some of have you get a feel for how things are just by how your fish behave and look how the water looks.
I think the last time I tested was my Nitrates a few years ago. Was just curious what is was.. But for beginners I say its a good idea to test. Fish can live in a wide range of water parameters.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I guess the biggest thing here is for folks new to fish keeping, or starting a new tank or adding stock to a tank or what ever, its good to have a test kit handy and use it to make sure perams are as you expected them to be and not get any surprises. I think anybody that keeps fish should have a test kit and know how to use it. just makes good sense considering how much time, effort and money you invest into it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store