how do i move large fish

cudamaster13

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
southern california
i need to know how to move large fish safely since i am going to be transporting 5-7" fish from temecula southern california to san diego california right now all i have is one five gallon bucket,should i get one five gallon bucket for every two to three fish or are there other options?

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
If you have to buy something I would get large rubbermaid containers since they can be used for other things.

JML1997

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
N.B, Canada
What kind of fish are you moving, if there aggressive they shouldn't be in the same bucket..

Tuneme

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2011
South Africa
IMO from moving koi make sure its round and not any other shape, other shapes tend to disrupted the water and cause a lot of waves when in transit
i found that circular ones don't, just my 2 cents

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
I use a coleman cooler, the lid snaps shut and is near water tight. Not familiar with temecula so don't know how long of trip it is. You may want to add a battery air pump and take along some other water for W/C if more then a couple hours.

BTW 7" fish are not really considered large ;)

BlackShark11k

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
somewhere
According to mapquest thats a 1 hour drive, I would grab a battery air pump just to be safe (they cost like $10 at an LFS), and you could keep the fish in a bucket or a rubbermaid. I don't think a cooler would be that necessary. And 5-7" is baby size in my book :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store