How do I prep dead manzanita for driftwood

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I just went to a relatives property. He has a giant Bigberry Manzanita tree, which is dead on one side. Since the tree is at least 10 feet tall, and very wide, I got to take around an 8 foot dead branch, and smaller ones as wall. Problem is, they have lichen on them. I don’t have a clue how to prepare it for driftwood. Any input is useful.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I just went to a relatives property. He has a giant Bigberry Manzanita tree, which is dead on one side. Since the tree is at least 10 feet tall, and very wide, I got to take around an 8 foot dead branch, and smaller ones as wall. Problem is, they have lichen on them. I don’t have a clue how to prepare it for driftwood. Any input is useful.
Fill a bathtub with boiling/hot water, set em in, and leave em to soak till they sink. Not much else ya can do really. The lichen is ehh whatever, it shouldn't negatively effect the tank it's in other then eventually breaking down and decomposing. If the wood molds over don't worry that just happens when ya soak a new piece, it'll eventually go away and some fish will even eat it like Otto's and plecos.

Reactions: deeda

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
My wood fully sank in a week or two.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
I've had some driftwood that sank immediately and some that took 2 weeks to sink. It's hard to predict. Never used manzanita but there is a company in CA that specializes in Manzanita driftwood and they say pieces sink in 3-4 days. But the pieces they sell are pressure washed and prepped.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store