How do you acclimate?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
For me it depends on the fish im dealing with...

If its wild caught, i tend to be careful and acclimate them slowly after floating the bag for no less than 15min...

Hardier fish, i tend to float bag for about 15min, pour water from back into a container, and acclimate for about 5-10 mixing in tank water slowly before placing into the tank...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I also recommend floating the bag and adding a small amount of tank water over the course of an hour. I have a water softener and my water is soft and acidic while most lfs have hard neutral pH water. pH shock may be your issue

BCherdingthefish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2012
California, USA
Seems like everyone does it different.
Neons are still dying...not in large quantities but I'm having one or two die each day. There's also a Molly in there that has been acting very badly since I first got him - when he swims he waves his entire body like they do when stressed. He often has clamped fins and just hides out in one place...however all the other fish are acting just fine and their colors are great...with the exception of the ~ 1 I get that dies every day. Does anyone else have this problem with small fish? Seems like the only time I don't have fish die is when they are added directly to the main tank, but when I do that I risk bringing in diseases from not quarantining first.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Seems like everyone does it different.
Neons are still dying...not in large quantities but I'm having one or two die each day. There's also a Molly in there that has been acting very badly since I first got him - when he swims he waves his entire body like they do when stressed. He often has clamped fins and just hides out in one place...however all the other fish are acting just fine and their colors are great...with the exception of the ~ 1 I get that dies every day. Does anyone else have this problem with small fish? Seems like the only time I don't have fish die is when they are added directly to the main tank, but when I do that I risk bringing in diseases from not quarantining first.
Are you absolutely sure your QT is fully cycled when you add the new fish? How exactly do you keep this QT's bb colonies going when you're not quarantining new fish?

BCherdingthefish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2012
California, USA
Are you absolutely sure your QT is fully cycled when you add the new fish? How exactly do you keep this QT's bb colonies going when you're not quarantining new fish?
I don't. However, I took at least one LARGE handful of BioMax from my FX5 that is running on a heavily stocked 100 gallon, and put that in the filter of the 35 gallon, in addition to a sponge that was used in the tank when I just had a few fish in there(so the biomax can seed the sponge). That should have been more than enough for the 30 or so Neons in there. Plus I have done waterchanges every other day. Doesn't matter if it is a large water change or a small one, I still have fish die and the Molly still acts very stressed. There's plenty of hiding places with at least 5 fake plants and 1 large driftwood branch on the bottom of the tank, plus a floating piece of driftwood and 2 floating plants. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong...I only ever have problems with fish in this tank(QT tank), never in my main tank.

csaechao

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2008
I've been having the same problems too with my grow out. Water tests has been fine and tank has been running for a long time. I've dripped two ATF in a 5g bucket for a bit over an hour and they both died the following day 1 by 1. Also had some lemon barbs go recently but I suspect it's from the geo's attacking them. :screwy:

BCherdingthefish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2012
California, USA
I've been having the same problems too with my grow out. Water tests has been fine and tank has been running for a long time. I've dripped two ATF in a 5g bucket for a bit over an hour and they both died the following day 1 by 1. Also had some lemon barbs go recently but I suspect it's from the geo's attacking them. :screwy:
Sorry bout your fish. I know how frustrating it is. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store