How do you clean your sumps?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
So despite the various forms of mechanical filtration on my tank over time there still tends to be a build up of crud in the very bottom of my W/D sump.I gave it a good suction cleaning with a hose this morning and that is no simple task given the location of the sump.I was wondering how everyone else went about cleaning their systems...

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I have an extra pump with a threaded input and output. I'm thinking of putting an elbow on the inlet with a short run of 1/2" pvc and put a 1/2 hose on the outlet.

It should work to vaccum out the bottom into a bucket

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I might start to clean mine that often but I almost have to become a contortionist in order to maneuver the hose down there lol.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I might start to clean mine that often but I almost have to became a contortionist in order to maneuver the hise diwn there lol.
That's how mine is on my 310...I have to take lessons from my ferrets and compress my rib cage to fit under the stand.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That's how mine is on my 310...I have to take lessons from my ferrets and compress my rib cage to fit under the stand.
Lol the fun part for me is getting my hand and the hose underneath the wall that separates the pump from the large area that is directly under the bio balls.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Lol the fun part for me is getting my hand and the hose underneath the wall that separates the pump from the large area that is directly under the bio balls.
ya...that was a real big part of why I don't have dividers in mine...just went with a simple homemade trickle tower into an open tank filled with lava rock haha.

REDTAIL1928

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Drain as much water as u can and use a wet dry vac. Thats it.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store