How do you fight the urge

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Timing is just never right.

Been wanting a saltwater shark for ever but want to be in a permanent housing situation first, I move too much.

I thought I had it when we were buying a house, but we bought a house were planning on remodeling.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Sometimes I can't fight the urge, and don't follow my own rules.
This usually ends in disaster for me, and I'm not referring to my X here.
Not long, I added a few fish without a long enough, and proper quarantine, this led to an outbreak of ich, which led to a secondary bacterial infection that spread thru a number of tanks, which led to me euthanizing over a dozen fish.
The tank where most deaths originated was a bit overcrowded, a 150 gal with maybe 15 fish between 5"-7", and where because I did plenty of water changes, but had neglected vacuuming causing pockets of detritus which I believe became bacterial sesspools.
Anytime you add a new fish, you risk adding a new disease.
Anytime you add a new fish, you risk adding stress, which can cause disease.
Any time you add a new fish, you may initiate overcrowding, and territorial stress which can cause disease.
Results of me not following my own rules in the 150
4 dead or euthanized ornatum

6 euthanized Guianacara

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Good example of what can happen when things go sideways. It is for this exact reason why it is usually fairly easy for me to fight the urge. Been there, done that, and it wasn't fun.

Thanks for posting that Duane.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Wow duanes sorry that happened.

I was doing good staying off certain sites...but these freakin ornatums are killing me. Right now i have a good peaceful mx in my 150 and wouldnt do anything to disturb it. The argentea wouldnt let any other cichlid live in the 75 which wouldnt be enough space anyway... i guess what im doing is pouting cuz i dont have the time for another large tank lol

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
It's very hard for me. Not so much when I got to the LFS as most fish there don't interest me. It's more when I go seining to grab a few extra dace for a school or a pair of darters and you turn up a hundred beautifully colored fish in your seine that are all free to take, it's so tempting to go buy a 180 and just fill it with a big school of redside dace, but in the end there's to things that stop me. The first is I want to preserve to wild populations, the second is I don't have the money or space for the amounts if sevreal hundred or even several thousand gallon tanks I'd like to have.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When I first got ornatum about 2 years ago, they were approximately 1" and
started growing them out in a 55 gal, just the 6 without any other fish.

I found them to be very aggressive with each other at that tiny size, as it appeared they were on the road to killing each other off.
I added 6 slightly larger Guianacara sp, and a few lemon tetras, overnight this was enough of a distraction to halt all intra-species aggression.
Within a year they were too large for the 55 and were moved to the 150.

I probably should have reduced the population of Guianacara, and not had any more than 10 fish in the 150, and it would have been much better if I had had even fewer.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
When I first got ornatum about 2 years ago, they were approximately 1" and
started growing them out in a 55 gal, just the 6 without any other fish.

I found them to be very aggressive with each other at that tiny size, as it appeared they were on the road to killing each other off.
I added 6 slightly larger Guianacara sp, and a few lemon tetras, overnight this was enough of a distraction to halt all intra-species aggression.
Within a year they were too large for the 55 and were moved to the 150.

I probably should have reduced the population of Guianacara, and not had any more than 10 fish in the 150, and it would have been much better if I had had even fewer.
Omg dude your killing me....that last pic is incredible

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store