How do you guys do it?

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Im a professional lifter thats how I'm abile to lift 167 lbs 5 and a half feet in the air to replace the water but I wont be young forever so I was looking for a alternative method.
Lol. Do what the other guys said with the python water changer, or just make more light trips.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Remove all substrate. Run a bare tank and hook it up to an auto water changer. All you have to do is clean algae off glass every couple weeks and feed the fish every couple days. Enjoy

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
My biggest concern was that this city water was to chlorinated and would harm my fish when doing 50% water changes.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
+1 on a python, using prime no reason to pre-condition, after tank down, and I do fine level, unless i am not paying attention then its a one eye up water change.:ROFL: prime the water for size of tank, not water replacing and fill her up from the sink, prime works instantly as the tank filling.

ChrisL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2006
Central NY
I'm on a well so I just use a hose from the tap. When I had chlorinated water I just used Prime and a hose from the tap.

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
I purposely built my stand a little higher than normal (bottom of tank sits 44" off the ground), which means the tank is high enough to siphon easily into my kitchen sink.

Then refill by attaching hose directly to sink. I also have an auto top off, and usually just put water into the reservoir (17 gallons) instead of directly into the tank which also makes it easy.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
My biggest concern was that this city water was to chlorinated and would harm my fish when doing 50% water changes.
I'm on city water and have never had a problem I just dose the tank with prime and the water being pumped into the tank stirs it all up. I do 30-50% weekly.

Ps if you are new to using a python set a timer so you don't get distracted. I have heard many stories about people going about other business while their tank is filling and forget about it.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
It really depends on your city/source water. Some places dose chemicals so high that it will take out the media in my RO/DI unit (the commercial size unit). So not everyone can safely add a conditioner right to the tank.

I like having a vat of water ready to go and pumping it with a power head or mag drive pump and hose. If you want to get fancy, have your 'make up' water in a vat with a recirculating pump on it and just a side line with a ball valve so you can open it and fill your tank up and any given point.

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Like Zoodiver said, use an aging barrel if you have the space. You can get a 55gal food grade drum off Craigs List for about $20. I gravity drain all my tanks & then pump water back in from the barrel. Really good for fish sensitive to temp or pH. Aerating the water brings the pH in line with your tank & you can heat it overnight to the same temp as your tank. Stress free WC.

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
Ok for the last 8 years I've done water changes with a 30gal bucket and a 20 ft gravel siphon. I empty the tank with ease as the siphon runs out my back door, filling the tank back up is my problem, I can carry about 20 gal in the 30g bucket. so I fill the bucket condition the water and make like 4 trips to fill the tank back up its becoming very tiring as the years go on. My question is, is there a easier way todo this is there some secret to it that I just haven't figured out yet?
Check this out, and see if this basic idea is not perfect for you!

http://www.purewaterproducts.com/garden-hose-filters

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store