How Do You Take It To The Next Level?

AQUAMONSTER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albany. NY
Taking it to another level means alot of things. For me its keeping one of the most difficult cichlids The Beani. Like a few other cichlids they are very prone to bloat and these fish need alot of attention

Eupterus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2006
Bennington, VT
For me it's :
-Adding a goldfish setup ( won't go into how badly that went due to messed up plans).
- Upgrading my filters. I have two filter upgrades left and then I'm done.
- A LED light for my planted tank. Maybe one for a basement tank so I can keep more live plants too.
- Building my decor when I'm done with filter upgrades. I'd like to do some nice decor in my syno tank after looking at flower pots for years. Maybe some huge fake mangrove roots. Finally making my syno tank into an awesome display tank would be pleasing. I wish my income was higher so I could build my setups faster like some people on here.

Realistically if I get here, I am done. I get to sit back and enjoy the hobby?..

As for what I'd like next after this...It remains a "pipe dream"...going to a larger tank of maybe 210 gal ( big surprise here huh?) with a giant gourami and an arowana. I hope they'd get along so I wouldn't have to decide.

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
My 225 is a bit more complicated than some other big tanks. 3D backgrounds take time and planning. ;)

Jeez, rude post of the week. :chillpill:
The critique was most likely not meant to be rude. High tech nano cubes are often associated with high class scaping and detail. There are major contests and tons of forums dedicated to these alone. The items pointed out were a general critique from someone who is most likely a proponent of these planted tanks. Since the topic was the next step the critique was probably aimed at the fact that it missed the mark as a competitive tank... the details are really the true step up in many people opinion.

clekchau

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2006
tx
www.clekchau.com
for me it would be an sps reef tank but thats much too expensive to maintain, not necessarily hard but just expensive and time consuming to the point where i wouldn't enjoy it i would think. maybe a nice simple minimalist 5 gallon nano tank with a small driftwood and plant, maybe a betta would be cool.

Justo23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2011
U.S.A. - Utah
the "next level" for me is to get the plants in my 60 to thrive as well as the fish there do lol :)

SWGNATE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
salt isn't too bad, Ive done em since i was 13, just get a hydrometer, bite the financial bullet and get a protein skimmer. fill full of saltwater add one fish and some live rock, wait 4 weeks and add more fish until your appropriate stocked, of course you need UV lights or a metal halide

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
But I'd like to hear what everyone would like to do next? I know it can become stagnant after awhile...so what do you do to keep yourself interested in the hobby?
Things got a little uneventful for me for a few months, just would go downstairs and feed, do a water change on the 500g every blue moon. Realized that the two big fish in my 150 are still growing (black aro and anguilla eel) but haven't worked out in the 500 so I decided to stop procrastinating and either sell them or start a new monster tank project. Been shopping around online. Might be doing a new 240 very soon. :)

BellycrawlerJaws

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
Long Island, New York
I hit my "next level" recently by converting my 20 long into a planted tank. I never thought I could do it, and am still working out the kinks, but that's all part of the fun :nilly:

spadoc79

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
tallahassee, florida
my next level lately has been helping friends/family get into the hobby....im also gonna be trying my hand at breeding my venustus, and trying some plants in my office aquarium.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
The critique was most likely not meant to be rude. High tech nano cubes are often associated with high class scaping and detail. There are major contests and tons of forums dedicated to these alone. The items pointed out were a general critique from someone who is most likely a proponent of these planted tanks. Since the topic was the next step the critique was probably aimed at the fact that it missed the mark as a competitive tank... the details are really the true step up in many people opinion.
Tact (noun):
Acute sensitivity to what is proper and appropriate in dealing with others, including the ability to speak or act without offending.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store