How long did it take to train your dats to take pellets?

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
I have 4"+ NTT and 5"+ NGT. The NTT was bought from a fish store and was probably fed feeders and the NGT was wild caught. I only feed pellets to my other 5" IT, clown loaches, and African cichlids. NGT haven't ate in 49 days and the NTT haven't had anything in 55 days. They were thick when I got them and are now skinny and they hide all the time...

My tank is about survival of the fittest or you eat pellets or die. But man, those dats are expensive if they decide to die.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Don't let them die.You are dealing with the two most stubborn to food train datnioides species in my experience.I am currently trying to train a small NGT which has ignored everything except for frozen bloodworms and if it wasn't for those it would have probably died by now.I have had the little guy for almost three months now.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Start by feeding by hand what they will eat (redworms work, as do live ghost shrimp), then work to bits of fish stuffed with pellets, eventually they'll grab anything you drop in, which is how you get them on pellets.

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
I was thinking of giving them bloodworms in the interim. Then another 6 weeks fasting no food.

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
They haven't really ate anything since I got them so I'll probably try bloodworms.

Also, no way I'm going to stuff pellets in a fish. I value my time more than that. They can die if I have to do that haha!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
They haven't really ate anything since I got them so I'll probably try bloodworms.

Also, no way I'm going to stuff pellets in a fish. I value my time more than that. They can die if I have to do that haha!
That's a new level of laziness, I kinda like not slicing bread to make a sandwich

Reactions: Bigfishnut
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store