how long established aquarium without fish

shorjai

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2011
nyc
If I empty this whole entire tank and clean up all the gravel and grab an FX6 from another tank which is running for years, do I need to cycle ?

The fx6 will contain tons of good BB.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
If I empty this whole entire tank and clean up all the gravel and grab an FX6 from another tank which is running for years, do I need to cycle ?

The fx6 will contain tons of good BB.

Some will say yes but it depends on various things like bioload. That would be a great start with the fx6. Please make sure you don't forget to add your Dechlorinator to the aquarium prior to filling.

Reactions: TheWolfman and DOOB

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
If you just removed the fish in the last day or so you may keep the BB alive by testing and adding ammonia as needed to feed the BB.
Also if it been a short time you can go get some tetras what have you to feed the BB for you till the new fish arrive.
If it's been more than a few days you will have to start over from scratch or via jump starting. Now your BB colony didn't just live in your filters. It lives on all surfaces inside the tank. So if you get a filter that is still in use and just move it over, or substrate or decor that's in use. It can jump start your tank. Will have to stock on the low side till the BB can repopulate the tank.

shorjai

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2011
nyc
If you just removed the fish in the last day or so you may keep the BB alive by testing and adding ammonia as needed to feed the BB.
Also if it been a short time you can go get some tetras what have you to feed the BB for you till the new fish arrive.
If it's been more than a few days you will have to start over from scratch or via jump starting. Now your BB colony didn't just live in your filters. It lives on all surfaces inside the tank. So if you get a filter that is still in use and just move it over, or substrate or decor that's in use. It can jump start your tank. Will have to stock on the low side till the BB can repopulate the tank.
Can i add fish right away ? The existing fx6 is from 120g and I will move it and plug into the 90g.

Should I wait few days before adding fry? I am getting 40 fry in my 90g

pescado209

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2017
just feed the tank as if it still has fish.. the rotting food will keep the bb alive.

Reactions: tlindsey

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Nice profile pic pescado209 pescado209 , love the coloration of the oscar.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
The bacteria is dead then.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store