How Long Has Your Equipment Lasted?

ctateo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2006
Flushing, NY
have a huge experience with equipment. Many of us have had fish tanks for years, some for decades. Low-quality sucks, we want equipment that lasts. When we set up a tank, we're in it for the long run!

What are your favorite brands, what can you rely on? I am not asking for the newest gadget you bought, not for the set-up with the fanciest extras. I also don't want to know what sucks. I want to hear from those of you who have been running one piece of equipment for at least 3 years and would purchase it again if it ever broke (however, hoping it will last for many more years).

RealCrix220

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
I am a massive fan of fluval

I had a FX5 and a FX6 running for well over 5 years and they still work now.

I think they are brilliant filters

I can only imagine they the Ehiem external filters are the beat but I’ve never tried them my self

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Update:
My whisper and HOT magnum filters are still going strong for over 20 years. I had another HOT magnum that lasted for ten years.

The only thing I've replaced on Whisper is the impeller.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
GOOD:
Fluval FX6 - 7 or so years and no problems, I have one of the original ones with the dials on top. the impeller is starting to get a little noisy though, may need to replace it soon.
Aquaclear HOB - Have had one since I started fishkeeping 14 years ago, still running.
Pondmaster pump - 8-9 years going strong in my sump, no problems.

BAD:
TMC AquaBeam 600 - Junk, for a $150 LED fixture it didn't live up to expectations and lasted under 2 years.
FLUVAL Q Airpump - Junk, lasted under a year

1 2many

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2021
New Jersey
AquaClear HOB filters. All sizes from 20 - 110 have lasted 10+ years like new. I had 2 Fluval 404 canisters running up until last summer and the other just went last month. Both were working since either ‘00 or ‘01. 1 Marineland magniflow 220 canister has been setup for 9+ years on a quarantine tank. Also have 5 Rio Plus powerheads hooked up to sponge filters that have lasted 5+ years. Just recently picked up a Fluval FX6. All filters have lasted with only basic maintenance needed.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
AquaClear HOB filters. All sizes from 20 - 110 have lasted 10+ years like new. I had 2 Fluval 404 canisters running up until last summer and the other just went last month. Both were working since either ‘00 or ‘01. 1 Marineland magniflow 220 canister has been setup for 9+ years on a quarantine tank. Also have 5 Rio Plus powerheads hooked up to sponge filters that have lasted 5+ years. Just recently picked up a Fluval FX6. All filters have lasted with only basic maintenance needed.
It's amazing how durable the Aquaclear filters are almost every post will mention them be long lasting.

Reactions: RD. and Jexnell

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Laguna Max Flo 4200 pump is coming up on 10 years of continuous service. I've cleaned it only 1 time in 10 years. I also have siix 300W Eheim Jager heaters that are coming up on 10 years old.

These belt driven air pumps I recently picked up take the cake though. These are from 1960. Motors still turn, but need to find new drive belts.

Oscar Air Pump.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store