How many Crested Geckos

Amazon_Addict

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Rubicon, Wi
How many crested geckos can a fit in a 65 gal Reptarium (16.5"x30"x28")? I already did a lot of reading up on the species so I know about there care and that they can be kept together, but they all say 3 geckos to a 20 gal. I have 3 times the space and most of the space is vertical. I plan on putting a few live plants such as pothos and such in there so there will be plenty of climbing room. I know I am only supposed to keep one male per cage so i was thinking of one male and like 5 females.

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
I wouldn't add any more geckos than 6. They're pretty active at night and will be all over that cage once the lights are out. Make sure to have lots of sticks, plants and hollow cork bark for them to hide and crawl on.

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
well though most people do 1 crested gecko per 10 gallons I still wouldn't put a group of 6 together I have a group of 3 together 1 male 2 females and its fine but still there are possibilities of aggression so you might want to think about making some tank divider's so you can have maybe 1 side with 3 and the other with 3. And, do the 2 females, 1 male setup and just keep and eye out for aggression.

mr.reef24

Vicious_Fish

MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
I agree Mr. Reef, I would start with a trio and work your way up. Some are more aggressive than others too so you'll want to keep an eye on them and then maybe add a single new gecko and see how they take to that and so on. I currently keep a trio in a 40 gallon and I wouldn't want to add another gecko as it seems pretty crowded now when they are active in the evening and crawling all over the tank.

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
thanks vicious_fish hey you going to norther berks reptile show this weekend on the 17th?

mr.reef24

Vicious_Fish

MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
mr.reef24;3539484; said:
I'll be wearing a Pittsburgh Marine Aquarium Society Shirt if you see me come up and say hi.

mr.reef24
Will do. But the friend of mine I was going there with has the flu. Now I'm not 100% sure if I feel like making the drive out there. If I do decide I'll be wearing one of my MFK shirts.

Jfitz

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Montreal
IMO i would just go with 4, less maintenance and chance that one of them is getting bullied and not eating.
3 females and one lucky male ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store