How many lights should i have?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
For my 70 gallon i have one 40W boyu 6500k light tube, but my plants are not growing too well and the amazon swords are not doing too well even with a plant substrate and seachem flourish for a boost.

I am thinking my lighting is not strong enough? would another 2 40W bulbs work for me?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
What we need to know is:

What tubes are they? T12/ T8 / T5 / T5-HO

Also what brand are they? Are they shop lights or aquarium specific?

But either way it sounds like your lighting is on the very low side just by the sounds of things...

Also what substrate etc are you using? Coz could be other reasons why your plants are dying...

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
What we need to know is:

What tubes are they? T12/ T8 / T5 / T5-HO

Also what brand are they? Are they shop lights or aquarium specific?

But either way it sounds like your lighting is on the very low side just by the sounds of things...

Also what substrate etc are you using? Coz could be other reasons why your plants are dying...
Its boyu t5 aquarium lights.

The amazon swords are the only rooted plant and are in flival dark

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
The seachem flourish is a liquid fert? Coz amazon swords are heavy root feeders, so maybe need some root tabs?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
The seachem flourish is a liquid fert? Coz amazon swords are heavy root feeders, so maybe need some root tabs?
Flourite is meant to nourish them. When i put them in pots with my goldfish ill add tabs. Flourish is just minerals and macronutrients as far as i know

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
When it comes to T5 lighting it's said a single T5 bulb is enough lighting for a tank up to 60 gallons... I beg to differ because I've always found it's best to start out with more lighting then the tank needs because it always easier to "down grade" to find the perfect amount of lighting, then it is to upgrade lighting.

Since your tank is good size I would add 1 or 2 more T5 6500k bulbs to the tank... Flourish Comprehensive is a liquid fertilizer which contains both macros and micro nutrients, and is sufficient enough to sustain a planted tank... For instance, my old 75 gallon planted tank was heavily planted with 2 big Amazon Swords and I dosed with only Flourish comprehensive... The 75 gallon tank had a 48" Coralife power compact 4x65w 6700k bulbs, co2 injection, and 2 canister filters but I was dosing flourish comprehensive every other day the recommended amount....

Root tabs are always a good addition to planted tanks, especially if you have heavy root feeders like swords, crypts, or vals... For instance....

My current planted tank is a 45 gallon long 48"x12"x19....

Lighting - 48" Beamswork Evo 6500k LED, and 36" T5HO 6500k bulbs
Filtration - Odyssea CFS-500 canister filter
Heating - 300w Hydor Theo submersible
Substrate - 70/30 mix of flourite/floramax planted substrate
Co2 - DIY 2ltr co2 system (currently swapping out for co2 injection system)
Fertilizers - Dry Ferts w/ osmocote plus root tabs

In my opinion it's always better to start with more for a planted tank... This is because it always cost less to downgrade... Every planted tank is different even when they're the same set up with identical everything they're still different, which is why I always start with more and work my way down til I get the right consistency in every aspect for the tank!!!!

Flourite as it states does contain some nutrients already in it as stated on the bag... However it's only enough nutrients to get started... Flourite is great because it has a high cation exchange capacity (CEC) which means it's able to soak up nutrients, and then release them slowly to the plants over time. I actually love flourite substrate, I use it in every planted tank I'm setting up! But heavy root feeding plants need more nutrient available to them then what the substrate releases to them which is why root tabs are always a good idea!!!

Last edited:

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Ok, thanks

JakeAlmighty

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2016
Canada
Flourite is meant to nourish them. When i put them in pots with my goldfish ill add tabs. Flourish is just minerals and macronutrients as far as i know

it's worth adding tabs no matter what - swords do much better with root tab right beneath them.

and I would definitely recommend more light! W/gallon is not a perfect measurement, but you want more than the 40W/70gallon you're running at.

Yohanon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Tennessee
I use a single 48" coralife colormax t5 54 w 6700k and my plants are doing fine. They are java ferns and anubias which are tolerant of lower light. I am also working on a carpet of staurogyne repens, which is well on it's way. I have no experience with amazon swords, though.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
As a former keeper of sword plant,I can tell u they did better with pond snails in the tank than without them,it took me awhile to figure out why,but when snails consume stuff they they digest it ,then expell it as compounds that plants can use.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store