How many members on here breed ball pythons?

krzr3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2006
CT
Is there a market for piebalds? I've been thinking about picking a few up...very impressive snakes.

elevatethis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
krzr3000;2999129; said:
Is there a market for piebalds? I've been thinking about picking a few up...very impressive snakes.
Market is good for pieds - although I would not expect to get over $1000 for them if you hatch some out in 3 years. People have been buying up hets and raising them up for some time now. You will see a LOT more for sale this year and next year than in years past.

I'm not convinced the market is growing for them, either, at least not until the economy gets better. People aren't throwing cash at morphs today like they did 3-4 years ago.

elevatethis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
reptech;2999829; said:
i dont do balls yet i was thinking about getting some after my boas are born
They are easy if you set them up right. In my experience, bps do better in enclosed rack systems than traditional cages. Realistically, they are adapted to spending 99% of their time in burrows in the ground - so a dark, confined space is pretty much like home to them. I keep balls in relatively small tubs (see below) and they STILL will cram themselves into a hide within those small spaces. I guess they are just more comfortable that way...

TheOneThatGotAway

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2007
NJ, USA
elevatethis;3000084; said:
I've never seen snakes kept like that before. Pretty cool. But how do you keep them from escaping? I know pythons are little Houdinis. Is there a lid on the top of each bin? It would have to be mesh, wouldn't it? So they can breathe?

krzr3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2006
CT
elevatethis;2999614; said:
Market is good for pieds - although I would not expect to get over $1000 for them if you hatch some out in 3 years. People have been buying up hets and raising them up for some time now. You will see a LOT more for sale this year and next year than in years past.

I'm not convinced the market is growing for them, either, at least not until the economy gets better. People aren't throwing cash at morphs today like they did 3-4 years ago.
Hmm, thanks for the input. I have noticed hets being popular in the classifieds, will be interesting to see how common they get.

Going to a show in 2 weeks, going to check out whats out there for pieds. I've been wanting to start a project for a while now.

elevatethis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
TheOneThatGotAway;3000459; said:
I've never seen snakes kept like that before. Pretty cool. But how do you keep them from escaping? I know pythons are little Houdinis. Is there a lid on the top of each bin? It would have to be mesh, wouldn't it? So they can breathe?
The tubs fit flush with the floor and ceiling of the rack itself, so there's no room for the snakes to escape. Short of me not closing the tub all the way, there's no way that they can squeeze out.

There are ventilation holes on the sides of the tub to allow fresh air exchange, but not enough that the tub loses its ability to maintain humidity.

Rack systems are used by breeders and are by far the most efficient way to provide for a snake's needs. The properties of glass cages are counterintuitive to providing the conditions that most snakes need to thrive.

Ever watch Snakebytes.tv? It gives you an inside look at a large scale breeder's facility. Check it out: http://snakebytes.tv/

elevatethis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
Weylin,

8ballpythons.com ships internationally, and does BHB Enterprises, The Snake Keeper, and various others.

You will have to go with one of the "big" breeders in the US if you need an international shipment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store