How many of you think you bichirs eat too slow?

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
I feel frustrated that my bichirs is eating too slow because my other fish are eating up all the food on the floor fast. What do you guys do to make sure your bichirs get enough food in a community tank? I have been thinking of setting up a bichir only tank due to the bichir eating habit.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
I only have a bichir thank, but my lower jaws eat first and my ornate takes their time. I usually put more food so what ever is left the ornates can eat the rest.

Zilch

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2016
West Palm Beach, FL
Yeah bichirs aren't great at competing with other fish... They're pretty slow to eat.

You could try distracting the other fish on one side of the tank and target feeding the polys with a length of pipe or something, but a poly only or majority tank is probably best if you're getting serious about polys

Or feed a second time before you go to bed after the tank lights have been off for a while. Polys are nocturnal feeders

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Feed at night. Or just run food across the entire tank. Eventually it'll eat and clean up the left overs.

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
Like stated drop food in at night ,polys have excellent sense of smell. :)
my bichirs are lazy so they don't eat at night. Then again it's hard to eat having a 18" bass and dat patrolling above you. Haha

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
What are the tank mates ? I have similar issues, very annoying i agree. Not only slow to get to the food but what about when they kind of play with the food rolling it around under there chins while the other fish are eating everything lol

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Only fish that eats of the floor fast is my sun cat, I throw in enough to get him full and then the bichirs have to compete with eachother and the wolf.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
my bichirs are lazy so they don't eat at night. Then again it's hard to eat having a 18" bass and dat patrolling above you. Haha
I've experienced having up to 9 dats (7-17") with polys. My prior datnoids will stop eating when full always. I presume peacock basses will too. I would overfeed in the past just so I know my polys were getting enough. The next morning/day - I'd scoop put the uneaten cut tilapia. Freeze again, then add to the next feeding.

Question. Hope u don't mind me asking. Do you still have that 26" ansorgii u can show all of us enthusiasts here ??? Just had to ask :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store