How Many Striped Raphael Catfish in a 55 Gallon?

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Hey y'all! I was curious as to how many Striped Raphael Catfish I can have in a 55 gallon? I currently have two, and I'm thinking about getting another one or two. I don't want there to be problems with aggression, especially since one of my raphs is my "precious" that I've raised since it was a baby. If more striped raphaels don't work, would spotted raphaels be a better option? I also love those.

Thank you in advance!

Reactions: tlindsey

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Never had multiples, and if I did, I wouldn't expect them to be aggressive to each other (the doradids are usually okay with each other) but I am glad to learn.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Never had multiples, and if I did, I wouldn't expect them to be aggressive to each other (the doradids are usually okay with each other) but I am glad to learn.
I've had a pair for a while and they've gotten along perfectly fine, actually, they seem to enjoy each other's company. When the fish store had a full stock of them, they all huddled together constantly (I know this because I was going to the store regularly lol).

I will admit, though, that there was slight squabbling between them at first, which was quite humorous to watch. The original one would push around the much larger one like a bull dozer, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I have 5 striped (2F/3M) and 3 spotted (1F/2M) in a 260g. I have recently added more bamboo hides as I do see the striped chasing each other, but I haven't seen any damage or vicious aggression from them. The males are for chasing the plump female but I don't know how to trigger her desire to spawn.
The 2 Orinocodoras eigenmanni were in with them too and all cohabitated without issue. Catfish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store