How many?

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Curious to see if more than one flowerhorn could inhabit the tank for the duration of its life. I have read that two flowerhorns in a tank is bad idea unless breeding and then you need to remove the female shortly after. But from searching around varius threads throughout MFK I have noticed that a few people here have tanks with 2-4 flowerhorns in them. I currently have a 90 gallon and am wondering if I could eventually add another flowerhorn or two. Not sure if this is a stupid question or not but could use some people with more flowerhorns knowledge to chime in. Thanks

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
I doubt anyone here has 2-4 full sized FH's in a 90 gallon. Even a pair can be tricky. I have a 90 gallon with two juvenile flowerhorns. Once they hit 4 inches plus play time is over. I got stuck with a rescue that nobody wants, at first it was ok for about a month- now the fighting is getting serious I can't imagine setting yourself up for that on purpose. Aggression aside they're bigger fish and need more space to look their best.

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
My bad to clear it up the tanks I have seen the Flowerhorn in were not 90 gallons to my knowledge. I have a 90 and wanted to see if I could possibly house one more FH in it

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
There was a member here named crazysteve that had some sort of actual fh community tank. I'm sure he's long gone from this forum but search his user name you may be able to locate a thread with the specifics.
It's not common but with a very large tank and the usual dithering, line of sight break up, and simultaneous introduction it could be possible to have multiple fh.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
agreed, ive kept a large group of midevils together in my dd 300g in the past, miguel also did this, no too sure if flowerhorns would work the same. best to keep it all males to avoid the extra aggression from spawning, also i chopped and changed a few till i got a group that worked together, could be expensive if your into high grade. tank size is everything, thats why public aquariums can keep multiple dovii together and arapaimag can keep dovii with oscar. in your tank i seriously wouldnt bother tbh.

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
So far mine has shown minimal agression towards the tinfoils and zero towards a CL its weird with the relationship between the CL and FH. If anything I'd like to just add another male and thats it. What makes me wonder is a bunch of aggressive chiclids like Jaguars, oscars, jack dempseys, green terrors can all live in the same tank but two flowerhorns can't. For the record I've never kept chiclids like them before so there's a good chance I haven't grasped the full agressivness of a Flowerhorn compared to other chiclids.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
once full grown its hard work, most are fine at smaller sizes. im my 300g they fight and i always had ripped fins, im giving up on mixed species cichlid comms, the group of male midas worked well tho.... put the same fish in a 180g and they will kill each other. it is all about tank size, also treat them like malawii, no less than 5 aggressive cichlids to spread aggression out, otherswise one will get singled out and beaten.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store