Something is strange about it. Snout seems very short......hmmmm
also stripping seems odd. but im no good at iding......hmmmmm

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Polypterus;2591885; said:
That is an interesting looking fish..... If you don't mind could you get some close up photos of the head both lateral and dorsal?

My general rule on feeding "adult" (Above year class 1 fish) is, feed just enough to show a slight bulge every other day or so. Your going to have to find out what that is for your particular fish.
yes get more pics please? looking at it's traits, i would have said shortnose too, but it's still giving me the usual spotted/florida vivbes.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
thou it's probably a long shot, any chance of a hybrid between shortnose and florida?(the second pic just reminded me strongly of croc I)

and how can you tell it's not a spotted gar?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
xander13;2597316; said:
thou it's probably a long shot, any chance of a hybrid between shortnose and florida?(the second pic just reminded me strongly of croc I)

and how can you tell it's not a spotted gar?
definitely not a spotted gar and can be distinguished by pattern and morphology. snout is too short and broader for its body size, caudal peduncle and body length are not indicative of spotted either. pattern also doesn't match as spotteds are pretty distinctive now that we've seen several verifiable spotted gars.

the fish does show some croc I-like characteristics, which is partly what i'm basing a shortnose ID on...although it's hard to be certain without more pics. there are some weird FL gars out there too. the elongate body and broad stripe fading into dappled markings posteriorly suggests shortnose to me...but as many of us are thinking a hybrid wouldn't be completely out of the question, and unfortunately pretty hard to verify without genetics work--
--solomon

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
compare also to some verified shortnose and Florida gar photos...again, hybrid could be possible, but hard to verify in this case.

somewhat unusual Florida gar:

croc I:

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
solomon, i still love your croc gar type II, on a side note which of the 2 different gars you have pictured are still alive? were did you get it?
and not to derail but im saying its a shortnose too

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
Hope these help,couldnt get one directly overhead.

cheers steve

_DSC0112.jpg

_DSC0114.jpg

_DSC0163.jpg

_DSC0165.jpg

_DSC0168.jpg

_DSC0170.jpg

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
i keep thinking cross, but best to wait for the two to chip in...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store