How often does it happen?

calpoly12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
Paso Robles, CA
When do you replace a tank. I mean obviously if there is some major defect. But after som many years do you just replace it?!

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
In my case, I don't. Replace the sealant or let someone else do it if you are unsure of how it is done.

drlower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
pittsburgh
i went 17 years without a leak then had two leak in one week. a 55 and a 100. it happens, things dry out, fish adapt, and when its all over it wasnt as bad as you think. eventually my wife will even get over the idea we had to buy 2 new tanks in 3 days. i have to thing that some event caused this like the house settleing or i dont know what. 2 in a week seems like too much of a coincidence.

calpoly12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
Paso Robles, CA
ah kk, i check my seals every once in a while and there appears to be no pealing,flaking, etc. Tank is getting slightly old. probably around 7-8 years. i would say its doing quite well thank god

calpoly12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
Paso Robles, CA
drlower;4795025; said:
i went 17 years without a leak then had two leak in one week. a 55 and a 100. it happens, things dry out, fish adapt, and when its all over it wasnt as bad as you think. eventually my wife will even get over the idea we had to buy 2 new tanks in 3 days. i have to thing that some event caused this like the house settleing or i dont know what. 2 in a week seems like too much of a coincidence.
I would FREAK!!:eek::eek::eek::eek: must of made the fish gods mad for some reason! :ROFL:

drlower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
pittsburgh
im in pittsburgh, that same week there was an earthquake in canada near the u.s. border. alot of people around here were on the news saying the felt some shaking. i never noticed but i guess that could be one possibility. i dont know. luckily we caught both pretty early before they lost to much. i think the worst part is by the time you switch the tanks over its almost like starting over. the good side is its an excuse to rescape or even upgrade.

calpoly12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
Paso Robles, CA
drlower;4795065; said:
im in pittsburgh, that same week there was an earthquake in canada near the u.s. border. alot of people around here were on the news saying the felt some shaking. i never noticed but i guess that could be one possibility. i dont know. luckily we caught both pretty early before they lost to much. i think the worst part is by the time you switch the tanks over its almost like starting over. the good side is its an excuse to rescape or even upgrade.
Very true!!! as long as its caught early it doesnt seem to be a problem.

Dr_Shakalu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
San Francisco
I think it's different whether it's acrylic or glass. I've posted that I was keeping a medium sized koi for my friend in my 100 gallon glass tank. One slap of his tail and the tank just burst. It didn't help that it was 2am. I think that if it was an acrylic 100 gallon, it wouldn't have burst. The Doctor

calpoly12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
Paso Robles, CA
Dr_Shakalu;4795321; said:
I think it's different whether it's acrylic or glass. I've posted that I was keeping a medium sized koi for my friend in my 100 gallon glass tank. One slap of his tail and the tank just burst. It didn't help that it was 2am. I think that if it was an acrylic 100 gallon, it wouldn't have burst. The Doctor
Only took one smack of the tail?!:nilly::eek::eek::eek::WHOA:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store