How old is too old?

mushroomsoup

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Australia
velanarris;3200968; said:
Contrary to popular belief most glass does not distort over even hundreds of years. If you remember the field trip to the old homes from the 1700's the glass in those windows was manufactured unevenly and did not thin out due to time.
glass from the 1700 isnt the same as from the 20th/21st century as the process by which it was made in the 1700 did not allow the substance to be as pure as how it is made today and therefore cannot be compared.

simply put, back then there were many impurities. now, glass making is very refined.

velanarris

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2009
Nashua NH
mushroomsoup;3201714; said:
glass from the 1700 isnt the same as from the 20th/21st century as the process by which it was made in the 1700 did not allow the substance to be as pure as how it is made today and therefore cannot be compared.

simply put, back then there were many impurities. now, glass making is very refined.

Yes, so it's even less prone to warping over time.

What point were you trying to make?

FYI: standard glass today and standard glass from the 1700's is the same glass. It's all just melted silicon dioxide (sand). Only difference is the price because we can now mass produce it.

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
It makes sense to me that we have more technical refining process in 'modern' times... and that 'pure' glass may be more susceptible to the sagging process in discussion here... although I do not know this to be true for sure...

But either way, I do not see this sagging process, applicable or not, to be a relevant concern to the topic at hand...

Again, I cannot say this for sure, but considering it logically, the pressure of the water on the glass would have more influence on the glass than simple gravity, and we do not see our 20 year old fish tanks distorting due to water pressure nor sagging.

Even if the glass did sag, it would become thicker at the bottom, where the water pressure is higher... and it would be thinner at the top where the water pressure is less... So if it does sag, it would only help...

If it did sag, the seals may become threatened, but the OP has already said he would reseal the tank (although I do not feel this would be necessary unless it had a leak or an apparent weak seam).

BigCountry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2009
Charlotte, NC
chefjamesscott;3199116; said:
i have some tanks 25+ no probs
Yeah, my 75 gallon is 17+ years old.

If it's been taken care of it should be fine I would think.

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
I think the glass debate here is kind of silly.

you are going to die long before you will see your the glass on your current glass tank ever begin to 'flow'..

so it doesnt matter.

debating silicone seals? fine -thats different.

but glass is not a factor unless it gets structurally damaged..ie cracked, hit, whacked, hammered etc.

ecuaaron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
rhode island
i have a 55 gallon thats 25 years old, has been filled and drained more times than i can count, time for a new, larger tank though.

JohnM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2009
Delaware
I bought a used O-Dell and( KNOCK ON WOOD ) it hasnt leaked. Just set it up in the garage for a few days to make sure it doesnt leak.

Good Luck!!!

Longimanus

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2009
BC, Canada
Thanks, I'm hoping to pick it up this weekend. It's a pretty good deal, the tank, a stand and some accessories for $40.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store