How rare are different species of Pbass in the wild?

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Not necessarily - there are colorful and not-so-colorful wild fish...and colorful and not-so-colorful captive bred ones. Exposure to sunshine also does wonders (for either wild or captive fish).

Matt

WC pbass have better colors than hybrids, and having various rare species is more desirable than having common mono/ocell hybrids. As far as doing the same thing, for the most part yes but wc pbass seem to have a different pecking order than cb pbass. I have 3 wc monos with 1 f1(cb) orino and it seems that they can tell hes different and they pick on him, but not each other.

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
No businesses would survive without the increase in price, plus overhead, plus they have to buy in extremely large amount to get the wholesale price. Online vs storefront- like said before electric, rent, employees. As far as fish vendors- not just over head costs, import costs, but also DOAs they get in the truckloads. Ever seen those death row threads? If you get the fish you wanted and you pay the price you agreed upon, you are not getting ripped off.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
Oh and someone is breeding azuls on the east cost and selling them at $75 shipped at 4". More supply=charge less, but they probably make more money off you than the vendors or storefronts who import.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Loads of Pbass here in Toronto. Lots of 3 inchers. Azul, kels, mainly. Run any where from 50 to 150 duckets. Asian shops have them are they all captive? Thing is I dont know the quality or out come of the fish so personally i would rather save some money and order from Rapps, Rare fish, or Lucanus. Just me

GoodPho~D

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2009
In the Water
Not necessarily - there are colorful and not-so-colorful wild fish...and colorful and not-so-colorful captive bred ones. Exposure to sunshine also does wonders (for either wild or captive fish).

Matt
+1 on that Matt

Something Rare that you "might" get from a wild caught is different DNA that "could" result in better colors. Other then that, what you mostly get from wild caught fish is personality, often times wild caught fishes have seen some **** in their lives. Making them more aggressive and better understanding of social behavior. Healthier, stronger and more well built shape, wild caught fishes live in rich waters and eat nothing but diverse of healthy things that would be hard as hell to mimic in the home aquarium. Often times giving them color enhancers from the rich water and eating things that eat other smaller things. They are also much stronger and well built thus making them way more healthy. Fighting against super strong currents, chasing after prey and running away from predators makes them workout a lot more. Having a more built and solid body and stomach.
You could do most of these in the home aquarium by running extra filters for an hour or two each day. Having them in rich substrate and blackwater. Showing them videos of natural waters from which them came from.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store