How should I design my 240 Gallon Tank?

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Looking for internal tank design ideas. I'm getting a 240 gallon (96Lx24Wx24H) acrylic tank built soon and was looking for ideas what it could look like. It will be housing a Piraya Piranha (currently 10"). I can't use live plants as I'm spending enough already to get it setup.

I really like this simple design in the video below. It gives enough room for swimming across the length of the tank while looking great. But I think the owner of this tank is using real plants. Any idea on where I could get fake driftwood and plants that looks like the ones used in the video?

Also, should I get a black background? I really would like a natural looking tank but again can't use real live plants at this point yet. I'm looking for your ideas!

JAYBIRD1011

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2017
Wilmington NC
Looking for internal tank design ideas. I'm getting a 240 gallon (96Lx24Wx24H) acrylic tank built soon and was looking for ideas what it could look like. It will be housing a Piraya Piranha (currently 10"). I can't use live plants as I'm spending enough already to get it setup.

I really like this simple design in the video below. It gives enough room for swimming across the length of the tank while looking great. But I think the owner of this tank is using real plants. Any idea on where I could get fake driftwood and plants that looks like the ones used in the video?

Also, should I get a black background? I really would like a natural looking tank but again can't use real live plants at this point yet. I'm looking for your ideas!

There is a thread on here somewhere, about using pothos in the aquarium. It's pretty cheap and looks great.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I’ve used pothos in my tanks before, all you have to do is let the roots dangle in the water and they’ll be good.

If you want realistic fake plants then I can give you a link but they’ll be expensive which is not what you want at the moment.

I think that what you should do (what I would do) is buy a few Anubias (I prefer Anubias nana), multiple species or one species, up to you, and just play the waiting game with them. Eventually they will grow and spread. If given enough time you could get several hundred dollars worth of Anubias out of $20 worth of plants but I’m talking about years if you’re not doing anything extra for the plants.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I’ve used pothos in my tanks before, all you have to do is let the roots dangle in the water and they’ll be good.

If you want realistic fake plants then I can give you a link but they’ll be expensive which is not what you want at the moment.

I think that what you should do (what I would do) is buy a few Anubias (I prefer Anubias nana), multiple species or one species, up to you, and just play the waiting game with them. Eventually they will grow and spread. If given enough time you could get several hundred dollars worth of Anubias out of $20 worth of plants but I’m talking about years if you’re not doing anything extra for the plants.
How bad is the price on the fake plants? I would like to see the link either way. If it's not too much trouble.

The only reason I'm not wanting real plants is because I am under the impression that I need lights. Which I will not be able to afford as I'm already spending $7000 on everything. Which is already majorly pushing my budget. Do some plants not require lights? I'm not sure.

And is the Anubias nana a carpet plant (I saw some carpet Anubias)? I did some googling and they are mighty pretty. Would work perfect with some driftwood. How would I attach it to drift wood btw?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
The link is somewhere in my emails so I’ll have to find it for ya.

Some will grow in just about any condition, I believe Anubias nana is like this. It grew with some light bulbs that came with a hood that I got out of a kit for a 10 gallon.

They are not a carpet plant but you can essentially make a carpet out of it if you’re willing to put in the time and effort to force it to grow like you want it to. It would be similar to how lucky bamboo is grown. They put it in a card board box with all sides closed except for one and because of that the bamboo grows that way towards the light and they rotate the box to get the curl. Sorry, I got off topic.

To fix it to driftwood you can simply use some thread or fishing line.

Reactions: The-Almighty-Zugs

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
No boiling or anything as far as I’m aware of and I’m pretty sure one of the members here used them in the past as I found out about them from this site.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store