How the HECK do I get algae to grow in my tanks?

Wyvlen

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
My tanks are very balanced it seems, and that used to not be the case. I used to have algae all the time, which I actually didn't mind. I just kept the front of the tank and the sides clean, but left the back with algae and wherever else. I have bottom feeders and other fish that eat it, but lately all my algae has disappeared for the most part! Only very, very small amounts or none at all remain, and I know it's not the fish suddenly getting good at making it all disappear, haha.

What's a safe way for me to get algae to start growing again?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Did you change light source since then, number of hours lights are on?

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
My tanks are very balanced it seems, and that used to not be the case. I used to have algae all the time, which I actually didn't mind. I just kept the front of the tank and the sides clean, but left the back with algae and wherever else. I have bottom feeders and other fish that eat it, but lately all my algae has disappeared for the most part! Only very, very small amounts or none at all remain, and I know it's not the fish suddenly getting good at making it all disappear, haha.

What's a safe way for me to get algae to start growing again?
Feed more, add more light, water change less. Get goldfish, post noob questions like "Is my fish pregnate?" Seems to be a surefire way to do it based on new fishkeeper's tanks. :)

Wyvlen

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
Feed more, add more light, water change less. Get goldfish, post noob questions like "Is my fish pregnate?" Seems to be a surefire way to do it based on new fishkeeper's tanks. :)
LOL I actually have goldfish in two of my tanks, and one of them i rarely water change.... *cough cough* multiple filters *cough cough*
i had a bad algae bloom in my cichlids tanks a few weeks ago but its long since gone and now there's barely even anything on the glass >-> i have been feeding less, mostly because i felt i was overfeeding my goldfish. its probably the food, then. hMMM

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
no light sources have changed, and hours havent changed <:D
What type of algae did you use to grow?

Green algae is more plant like. It needs sufficient light to grow and it has similar nutrient requirements as plants.

Other types of algae, like diatoms, staghorn, black beard algae, cyanobacteria (although some of them are not algae), have different requirements and grow in low light conditions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store