How to Become a Zoologist or Herpetologist

BronxZooFrank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
USA
bitly.com
I am currently a high schooler debating whether it not to go into zoology or the medical field, but I feel that if I do zoology as a job at that high of a level ill lose interest in animals like awesome said... Also I heard that the money you make isn't the best. Thanks for everything.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Good to be thinking ahead; many jobs in zoology pay poorly; on higher levels you can lose touch with your interests - teaching, supervising people does not always fulfill our needs; on the other hand, an advanced degree can open the door to field research and other exciting opportunities. Bio-tech research, developing medicines from venoms, etc., insect pest research and control etc offer the chance to combine medical and animal interests, with the possibility of better earning power...best, Frank

BronxZooFrank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
USA
bitly.com
Zookeeper ≠ Zoologist. Very few zoos are doing research any more and the ones that are usually hire personnel with higher degrees to do so.
As seems typical re your posts, I must again ask if you have actually read and understood the article? The distinction between zookeeper and zoologist is clearly drawn and the two are in no way stated to be the same, career-wise. If, as again seems typical, you are focusing upon, me, personally, please note that I am a zoologist and also have been a zookeeper (Master's Degree, Conservation Biology; Juris Doctorate, Environmental Law; dozens of peer reviewed article and so on).

As to your comment re zoos and research, upon what experience or research are you relying?; research is mandated by the American Zoo Association, the governing body for most if not all reputable and/or decently funded US zoos and aquariums. In larger, well-funded institutions, such as the Bronx Zoo, research budgets, for both in and ex-situ work, exceed those for collection care. Any library can obtain annual AZA reports to this effect, if you are interested.

Re "... the ones that are usually hire personnel with higher degrees to do so" - this is a re-statement of what is carefully expalined in the article! Again, please read and absorb before commenting. If you do not understand something, please politely ask for clarification.

I've had your last crass post deleted (another thread), and have asked site management to instruct you on protocol, manners, etc. I have neither the time nor patience to address inappropriate comments or remarks of a personal nature; please stop. Thank you.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Zookeeper ≠ Zoologist. Very few zoos are doing research any more and the ones that are usually hire personnel with higher degrees to do so.
This!!

Also AZA is one of the most detrimental associations to our hobby. ZAA all the way.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Just hang out with Oddball for a week or two and you will be certified in every species of every animal :)

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

reptileguy112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
I am going to get a job as a herpetologist when I am older.I am currently only 12.I can't wait till I move out and I can Get awesome pets like african greys, monitors, peacock bass, ect.I have owned many animals so far some of my fav pets that I have owned are 2 chinese water dragons, 11 western fence lizards, a longtail grass lizard, 4 flowerhorns, my 9 1/2 year old goldfish (RIP), a zebra tilapia, a angel pair, and a dino bichir.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Good on you for posting this Frank, I'll definitely have to be in touch for the future.

One thing I'd love to ask about now though, is what you know about veterinary medicine and who you may know that would be good to talk to about it, if not yourself. Specifically, I've been thinking about specializing in exotics, but my life plan is not exactly set yet....which worries me a bit since I'm now a junior in college. I am currently a bio major specializing in ecology and evolution though, taking a chordate zoology class now that's kind of a massive pain (mink dissections suck).

I look forward to talking in the future though!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store