How to care for my dinosaur bichir?

Maeghan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2017
So I've had this fish for maybe 6 years (I was ten when I got it) and I've had no clue how to raise this fish. I bought it from Petsmart and they told me to just feed him bloodworms every other day. I'd like to know what a dinosaur bichir needs and all, since I wasn't given any info about it.

Also I'm having trouble sexing it. I know it should be easy but I'm having difficulties. The anal fun of my fish is slender, but long and I don't know exactly if it's a girl. And I believe I have a 55 gallon tank so I'd like to know what kind of tank I need for a fish like this (I heard they like shallow water with a place to be on land so I was looking for a long, shallow tank).

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Can you post pics ? More than likely a senegal. Is it gray with very little markings ?

Either way they dont need shallow tanks nor do they need a place to be on land. Bloods are just blah in terms of nutrition. A mix of chopped earthworms/night crawlers, chopped tilapia, and a quality pellet would provide better nutrition.

They do require lids as they like to jump and enough space between the lid and the surface to come up for air.

Other than that same care as any other fish, decent water quality 0 ammonia/nitrite and low nitrates.

Maeghan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2017
Can you post pics ? More than likely a senegal. Is it gray with very little markings ?

Either way they dont need shallow tanks nor do they need a place to be on land. Bloods are just blah in terms of nutrition. A mix of chopped earthworms/night crawlers, chopped tilapia, and a quality pellet would provide better nutrition.

They do require lids as they like to jump and enough space between the lid and the surface to come up for air.

Other than that same care as any other fish, decent water quality 0 ammonia/nitrite and low nitrates.
I'll post a picture in a bit. I'm currently cleaning his tank but I do believe he's a Senegal. He has absolutely no markings and he's maybe about 5-6 inches.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Two of the most common sold bichirs (not my pics)
SenegalScreenshot_20170709-164236.png

Delhelzi
Screenshot_20170709-164144.png

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I'll post a picture in a bit. I'm currently cleaning his tank but I do believe he's a Senegal. He has absolutely no markings and he's maybe about 5-6 inches.
I have a 3 yr old sen thats about the same size. The sizes found on the net are for the most part grossly over estimated. Captive bred bichirs stay on the smaller end of the spectrum.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
Maeghan, welcome to the poly forum. First off you are obviously doing allot right in that you have kept this fish for 6years.

The stickies at the top of the forum are are great place to revisit the basics of Bichir care. They do not require or use a land area, the shallow recommendation is for their air breathing but really a non issue in standard tanks. Just give them room between the top of the water level and your tank top so they do not injury themselves. Foodwise, again the stickies are great info. Coles notes think fish cut up into bite size pieces alternated with a quality pellet like massivoire

Let's see some pics of your "Dinosaur"

Maeghan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2017
I also want to upgrade the looks of his tank so he can feel more in the river then in a kid looking tank. Right now I have black gravel and a few little hiding spots for him but none of them are good or big enough for him

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store