How to catch big rays

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I just use a standard net that's to small for the ray making sure the tail doesn't fit in the net

I make sure the ray goes in head first and the tail stick out of the back
If it's a big aggressive ray I wear big thick garden gloves to support the tail
Then when you get the ray out of the net make the ray go out backwards

I have never had a problem even doing it up steps with no legs

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I agree with all that has been posted about nets - deep basket, rubber mesh with good sized holes to let the water drain out quickly. Nothing for the barb to get tied up in. Very low stress on the rays - especially if you move them around a few times and they understand the process. I don't think I have a pic of moving a ray with one, but I have this old pic moving a white tip reef shark.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Thanks guys for all the replies. Guess i will be looking for a big net with rubber netting!

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Maybe im crazy but I dont net big fish. When I sold my 19" henlei I grabbed a hand towel and grabbed the base of her tail with one hand and slid my other under her belly hand had to pull pretty hard to get her off the bottom but she went without much fight. From there it was straight into a bin for transport. May not be the safest way but I was pretty comfortable with the ray and figured it was best for her. Plus my rubber net wasnt close to 2 feet wide

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I have a big rubber net. I net the ray then pull it near the surface with the loop just out of the water then pick the ray strait up and out. They will cup a little even though my net has more of a flat bottom to it so I turn the net a little to the side to dump the water off the ray and make sure I'm not going to make a mess then move the ray. Mine are overall good about it. I do have one ray that knows the net to well and uses her mass to get out of the net before I get to the surface so with her I have to move fast. And even then it's fun some times.

What do people use for catching pups? I've been trying to come up with a good method for pups on a bare bottom tank. In the big tank when born on sand I use a net just like the adults but in the pup tank with bare bottom it's a different ball game to get under them. Almost need a net with a spatula.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

northrebel

Candiru
MFK Member
May 20, 2012
london
when I moved my 6 rays into there upgrade I used a shallow plastic container with lid the rays were 10 inch up to 15. This was the first time I've had to move them and was not looking forward to It at all. I can honestly say it was completely stress free for me and the rays

doyboy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2010
essex uk
Have tried the big tub way to and was scary plus heavy, rubber net only way for me nowadays, as t1 said makes the whole thing easier for you and the ray if ray goes in head first. Got my net on ebay jim, dam site cheaper then tackle shop

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
To be fair I don't see the point in spending good money on something you will only use once or twice if you are a normal hobbyist ray keeper

I just use what I have at hand at the time

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
ive heard of rubber nets many times but ive never seen one for sale in a shop ive visited.

i use a landing net ( used by fishermen ) for lager rays. "if" they were to get their stinger caught (as the smaller ones sometimes do) i would just do the same and cut the net around the barb or if it was near the end cut the tip of the barb.

good luck jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store