how to euthanize a leopard gecko?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTTT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Cincinnati - The 513
hey everyone, long time no see.. i'm here because my leopard gecko has a broken jaw. :( i have no idea how the heck it happened but i woke up today and it was broken. it's pretty bad, i don't see how she could eat with it.. so i've decided the best thing for her would be to euthanize her. what would be the fastest, most painless way to euthanize a leopard gecko? i've heard freezing is pretty humane but i'm not sure.

muscle

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Freezing is the best way. It will go to sleep, then die. Painless for cold blooded animals. Warm blooded is a different story.

Gene0514

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2008
Staten Island, NY
You sure its broken?
and not MBD or mouth rot

ceeej31

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
New England
contrary to popular belief, freezing is in fact very painful for cold blooded animals. I don't actually know what the most humane way is but I'm sure freezing isn't it.

TTTT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Cincinnati - The 513
guys, i took her to the vet who said it's not something that could be fixed.. it was broken and the vet euthanized her :(

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
run it over with ur car. i know u think that sounds gross and stuff but it will kill it extremely fast i think the fastest death is most humane.
humane does not mean to maintain the integrity of the body it is the fastest most painless death running it over is going to be pretty instant.

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Great advice Pshtex...

My suggestion would have been to wrap it in a cloth, set it on concrete and stomp on it's head. Then discard the cloth...

Quick and painless is the best route. Freezing is not quick nor painless.

Sylvias

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2010
Somewhere
For future reference... a simple co2 chamber... a little bit of dry ice which you can usually get at a grocery store, inside of a sealed tupperware container, maybe in a little cup of water inside the container to help it melt faster. this way the animal actually does just go to sleep.

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
Why are people still giving advice? He stated that the animal was euthanized by a veterenarian. Which is the best way to go. I've heard of way too many home euthanizations gone wrong. I was even part of one. It sucks, it's messy, and it's painful for the animal. Unless you know 100% what you're doing, always go with a vet.

RIP Gecko.

muscle

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Freezing is not quick nor painless.
I guarantee stomping on his head is far from painless. Especially if you don't get it right the first time. Techniques like severing the spinal cord can be effective, but most don't do it correctly and leave the animal twitching in pain.

I've produced thousands of leopard geckos and thousands of other reptiles. Unfortunately, euthanasia of deformed or sick animals comes with the territory. When I put an animal down, I put it in the deep freeze which is set to about 0 F. They immediately go to sleep and then die. It is painless and the technique most all reptile breeders use and recommend. I also use and recommend the C02 method. But again, if not done properly, it is far from painless.

Is that your Tagu? Do you cool him in the winter? Do you think he's in pain when he is in brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store