How to find captive bred rays?

Mrw3ss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
Hi. In my research to add my first freshwater ray to my household of fish I have learned quite a bit. I have decided that I want to find a histrix ray, and have subsequently been introduced to the CITES list that I am still trying to interpret. From what I can tell these rays are possible, but not common to find.
My question is, are there many breeders out there? And if there are, where would I possibly find them? My only place to look so far is aquabid and I haven't seen anything.

Thanks

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi. In my research to add my first freshwater ray to my household of fish I have learned quite a bit. I have decided that I want to find a histrix ray, and have subsequently been introduced to the CITES list that I am still trying to interpret. From what I can tell these rays are possible, but not common to find.
My question is, are there many breeders out there? And if there are, where would I possibly find them? My only place to look so far is aquabid and I haven't seen anything.

Thanks
Dieselhybrid Dieselhybrid

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Are you located in the USA? If so hystrix are somewhat difficult to come across. Not many exports from their native waters since CITES. So you need to find a private domestic breeder, no restrictions there. The CITES regards importing and exporting, possession is still permitted in states that haven't specifically banned them. Private breeders exist but some have waiting lists at times, you'll do some searching but can find what you want.

I suggest contacting Jason username "Spotfin" he breeds them. I've also heard that there are some facebook groups centered around freshwater stingrays. That would be a great place to start also. Create a "want to buy" thread here in the MFK marketplace you might get some traction there.

Good choice with hystrix. They stay smaller and are hardy fish.

Reactions: kno4te and tlindsey

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
You probably can find some on facebook.. make sure you check the seller to avoid being scammed.

Reactions: tlindsey

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
I got 99% of my fishes from facebook by the way.. my local fish stores dont have any fishes that i want/wanted. You can simply do a quick search on facebook just type "stingray group usa" for instance, and join any groups. Just take your time and searches on facebook.

Once again always double, triple or quadruple check the seller first before buying. Or ask the members of the group if the seller is a reputable one or not.

Never get tempeted with a cheap price, most people who got scammed got hooked by the cheap price.

Mrw3ss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
Thanks for the great advice guys! Now I have somewhere to start.
Hopefully I can find one soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store