How to get algae off corals?

Otto_VonBacon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
Montgomery TEXAS
I bought a nice green brain coral, and as it was getting acustom to the lighting at the bottom, some green algae spread from the ground and started to grow on it.

It's in its permanant place right now, but the algae is there still. It's obviously not good for the coral, so how do i get it off?

spring007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2006
Where there is sunshine
good luck with that! It happened to my brain too...I didn't know what to do so I got some cerith snails and let them on the coral to eat the algae...they did a good job but the brain died after a month...

Timthedrifter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
charlotte, NC
emerald crabs or blue leg hermits can sometimes be good for cleaning off coral. Thats if you get lucky and they acctually eat the algae you want.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
the already mentioned additions are good at prevention, what i would do in the mean time is take a slow flow powerhead and as gently as you can, blow off the algae. Turkey basters also work very well for this. To be honest there all i use, because you have so much control as to whether you can suck off the crud, or blow it off lol.

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
Otto_VonBacon;3057114; said:
I bought a nice green brain coral, and as it was getting acustom to the lighting at the bottom, some green algae spread from the ground and started to grow on it.

It's in its permanant place right now, but the algae is there still. It's obviously not good for the coral, so how do i get it off?
Is it diatom algae or hair algae? also has the brain died or bleached at all anywhere? and is there any snail's or clean-up crew in there?

mr.reef24

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store