How to landscape a four-sides-open tank?

birmansandbettas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2009
the nuthouse
My new tank will be against a half-wall, so while the stand will be hidden, the tank will be fully visible from four sides. This seems to call for a different "floor plan" than my previous experience with planted tanks. Do I just choose a side and put the biggest plants towards to the other side, or just randomly strew different sizes around? How can I ensure enough hiding spots and still have good visibility?

Any tips would be appreciated.

I apologize if this is a repeat; please direct me to old threads. I wasn't getting any hits but I'm not sure I'm using the right terminology.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
i would put the taller plants somewhere in the center (not exact center) and work your way out with shorter plants. that way, you have a nice clean view from all sides

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Maybe an somewhat diamond shape, rough of course to keep it natural looking.

I've seen some setups with that 'island' look to them where the plants and hardscape are centered, I bet that would look nice from all sides.

uncwnells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Wilmington, NC
how wide is the tank?

Eddmo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
Tiny Island in S.E.A
jcardona1;2843456; said:
i would put the taller plants somewhere in the center (not exact center) and work your way out with shorter plants. that way, you have a nice clean view from all sides
fully agreed with this bro.

oOMO3NOo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2008
pullman
if it was me i would get alot of branchy driftwood and put it in the middle to make a "tree" i guess you could call it. and still put tall stems in the middle with wood around it then java fern/anubias through out the wood. still doing the tall plants in the middle working your way out to shorter plants on the side. kinda like this just shifted to the middle of the tank.

Thalan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2008
jacksonville
+1 to the driftwood idea. Maybe a piece close to each end with plants around them getting shorter with distance.

Atreyu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
Personal
I'd use a mountain landscape with rocks in the middle then use some sort of ground over like HC all around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store