How to net baby bass in the shallows?

SkySouza

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2009
Santa Maria, Ca
I'm pretty sure this is illegal. You can not take game fish at that size. Monsterfishkeepers does not condone illegal activity. I know I sound like a stickler here but I would be very careful as the fine from fish and game is very LARGE. I know other people do it but u don't want to be the one who gets caught.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Hunter Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2011
North Carolina
I could be wrong but just a quick search of the Ontario Fishing Regulations:
PART 2
SPORT FISHING
Sport Fishing Methods
14. No person shall sport fish other than by angling or by means of a spear, dip net, baitfish trap, seine net, or bow and arrow.

Sounds to me like if he has a license he can net and keep fish. From what I read on the site their is no size limit you just can't keep more than 6.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I could be wrong but just a quick search of the Ontario Fishing Regulations:
PART 2
SPORT FISHING
Sport Fishing Methods
14. No person shall sport fish other than by angling or by means of a spear, dip net, baitfish trap, seine net, or bow and arrow.

Sounds to me like if he has a license he can net and keep fish. From what I read on the site their is no size limit you just can't keep more than 6.
yee. i got a regulation book right in front of me LOL

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
yee. i got a regulation book right in front of me LOL
Unfortunately you didn't read it all that well then. From page 8 of the 2012 Ontario fishing regulations. The online digital copy has the same page numbering as well.

General Prohibitions - It is illegal to:
- Transport live fish, other than baitfish, taken from Ontario waters or to transfer or stock any fish into Ontario's waters without a special license to transport or stock fish
Also there is a specific list of species that qualify as baitfish.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Unfortunately you didn't read it all that well then. From page 8 of the 2012 Ontario fishing regulations. The online digital copy has the same page numbering as well.

Also there is a specific list of species that qualify as baitfish.
doesn't it mean that ur not allowed to catch fish from one lake and put them into a different lake?

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
doesn't it mean that ur not allowed to catch fish from one lake and put them into a different lake?
It's the general transport of live fish from Ontario waters that is illegal. Doesn't matter where you are transporting it. The exception is if you have a special license to transport fish, this is different than your fishing license, or if the fish in question on the list of approved baitfish.

If your interested in legally obtaining some bass look into purchasing from a local hatchery, or go buy one from the grocery store.

muskieboy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
and that where i got it man!! Have you seen any baby pike or pickeral in ontario?
Yes I once caught a 6" pike in High Park. By pickeral do you mean walleye? Their is walleye in the lake I put my trap in but I don't think I have ever caught any. I also caught a couple 2-3" baby muskie but I let them go.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store