How to ph up

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
You can also use aragonite sand mixed with your pool filter sand, it is basically crushed coral and other marine animal skeletons ground into sand.
It can also be used in fluidized bed filters, turning them into buffering reactors.
It does have the tendency to turn the water slightly milky until buffering/pH equilibrium is established.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
I like the idea of using the aragonite sand in a fluidized sand filter I was wanting to build one anyway to add to my filtration this is just one more reason why I should.

I wonder what the dissolve rate is and when it pertains to water changes how fast it will stabilize or if it'd be better to say add the water to my 50 gallon to "age" with a couple fluidized filters in there to get the ph up and then after say a week us said water for a water change..

Hmm sounds like a science project

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
I could buy 20 lbs of sand split between two fluidized bed filters set in my 50 gallon and just do hourly or daily measurements on the ph and such that way I know what it takes it will age the water and no need to add chemicals I could play around with different solutions of added salt or what not, it would also give me time to heat the water to perfect temp, and get anything else I wanted in there...

Now if I could only do this with filtered rain water would really cut down on cost of a fish tank

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
I have a 50 gallon drum I use to "age" as well. Its constantly being circulated with a pump, and I make and add my recipe the night before I do a water change. To get to the desired ph, kh, and gh readings I desired I bumped them up very gradually on a weekly basis just to be safe.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
I like the drum idea as I was looking at my tank saying hmmm what if my fish breed lol I have a water line not being used that I was going to run to my tank but I could just run it to a holding tank to temp it up, age it, and add anything needed like baking soda or salt

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
How fast does aragonite sand dissolve? Like if I drop water through a 5 gallon bucked full will it be long enough to pick up everything I need?

I read the ammonia from fish is what causes it I dissolve

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Good luck man looking forward to updates!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store