How to put a filter in a betta's tank?

Nabbig2

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 28, 2007
California
Once I'm on winter vacation, I will attempt to breed my bettas for the first time. The female is in a 10 gallon tank, and the water is 6 inches high. How can I get a sponge filter to work in the shallow water, when there are fry in the tank? Or is a filter unnecessary with the fry? Thanks.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Replace the up tube with a shorter one, decreases the efficiency but still works for what you want.

Or replace the up tube with a 3/4" short pvc pipe with an airstone inside (lifts more water).

Either way make end 1/2" under the water.

Good luck, and don't forget the Barry White (or Beach Boys) music. :D

Dr Joe

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
What exactly is the height of the tank? Is there any particular reason why it is only 6 inches deep? Mesh can solve your problem if your problem is bettas jumping out of the tank.

Nabbig2

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 28, 2007
California
Lupin;1325940; said:
What exactly is the height of the tank? Is there any particular reason why it is only 6 inches deep? Mesh can solve your problem if your problem is bettas jumping out of the tank.
It's just a standard 10 gallon tank. It is very shallow, because I'm going to breed bettas in it.

turbid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2007
malta
the filter can be placed diagonally or horizontally and turning the outlet elbow towards the surface. thats how i used to set up mine in small tanks

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Slipped my mind that beta's are bubble nest builders, so you don't want to screw up the surface tension and mess up the nest.

turbid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2007
malta
yep got completely out of my head too... however i think after the fry are free swimming that s ok to do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store