how to quiet this pipe

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Hey Midnight, I was just thinking of something that may put your mind at ease. Your pipe will flow 1200-1400gph under the power of gravity (the range is because I have to guess at the pipe size). You stated that you are flowing 1000gph. If that is the rating of the pump, keep in mind that it will actually only be 700-900gph due to the height of the tank.

The discrepency between the actuall flow and what the pipe wants to flow is why it is gurgling. The real solution is still to tune the pipe to your flow. However, I came up with an alternate solution (but isn't perfect).

It involves changing the plumbing from one large waterfall to a series of smaller ones. Take a drinking glass into the bathroom and pour a full glass from shoulder height and note the sound level. Then pour a glass from one foot and then again as low as possible. Use these results as a comparison to the noise level that you are currently dealing with. If you feel that smaller cascades will solve the problem, get more 90 elbows and zig zag your way down the pipe. There will still be some gurgling but the first and last cascades will muffle the inside noise.

And the idea of using P-traps is some good thinking. However, to function, they must be vented; Otherwise they are gurgle machines. The vent will be an express lane to the waterfall sounds. In homes, they are vented outside through the roof.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
bukster;1361567; said:
hey chompers what kinda netting did you use...i'm thinkin of using this. is it just the plastic netting like on screen doors?
Screen material is plastic over fiberglass and is really too stiff. What I use is from the Walmart fabric dept. I bought mine from the remnant bin for a dollar. It is the fine netting composed of small hexagons. The hexagons allow it to stretch in all directions, and is also why it is self cleaning.

midnight

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2006
under a bridge in fl
Hey Midnight, I was just thinking of something that may put your mind at ease. Your pipe will flow 1200-1400gph under the power of gravity (the range is because I have to guess at the pipe size). You stated that you are flowing 1000gph. If that is the rating of the pump, keep in mind that it will actually only be 700-900gph due to the height of the tank.
pipe is 1 1/2 i.d and 1 3/4 o.d
pump your right think its about that with the height.
The discrepency between the actuall flow and what the pipe wants to flow is why it is gurgling. The real solution is still to tune the pipe to your flow. However, I came up with an alternate solution (but isn't perfect).

It involves changing the plumbing from one large waterfall to a series of smaller ones. Take a drinking glass into the bathroom and pour a full glass from shoulder height and note the sound level. Then pour a glass from one foot and then again as low as possible. Use these results as a comparison to the noise level that you are currently dealing with. If you feel that smaller cascades will solve the problem, get more 90 elbows and zig zag your way down the pipe. There will still be some gurgling but the first and last cascades will muffle the inside noise.
thats a good idea
the 90s are like 2.50 a pop tho :WHOA: but ya good idea
will keep that in mind also.not sure what im going to try.lol

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Next time you are out, stop by walmart or a fabric store and get some of that netting. Experiment with it and see how it behaves. You can always take it out when you are not there. Your pipe will flow almost double what you are putting through it and for a dollar and change, you might find that you are comfortable with it. Keep in mind that the water goes through your wet/dry first so there isn't anything to get caught in the net. If you don't like it, you are only out of a buck.

I recently had a 4" JD pass on and then went down my pipe with the net in it. It passed cleanly by the netting without causing any spillage. Also, shortly after I set up that tank, the head of an unintended feeder ended up in my filter. Again, it went by the netting without incident.

Lil_Stinker

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 30, 2006
State of Emergency
it also holds true that the ball valve can actually increase water flow by limiting air.. less air = more water... hmmmm....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store