How to self breed Convict Cichlid eggs?

Niyaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2019
My Convict pair ate both batch of their eggs laid. And they are just matured and new parents. Now male chases female and female is seriously injured. So I had to move the female to another tank and introduce a new female for the male so that they breed again! Now the new couple is showing breeding rituals. This time my plan is to remove egg pot (once laid eggs) from the tank and move it to another tank so that parents wont eat their eggs. So i need suggestion how to self breed convict cichlid eggs? Please help! Its a 20 gallon tank

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
If eggs are laid on a piece of slate you could remove it to a small tank hover an aerator stone nearby to fan the eggs. You might run the risk of the eggs still going bad.

Niyaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2019
If eggs are laid on a piece of slate you could remove it to a small tank hover an aerator stone nearby to fan the eggs. You might run the risk of the eggs still going bad.
Why? Im moving eggs coz parents eat them

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Here's how I raise any cichlid fry artificially.
Although given time, parents will learn to do it themselves.
I remove whatever the spawns on (with out exposing eggs to air).
Put the egg covered rock or pot in a tank, with an air stone near enough to simulate the fanning action the parents do, without so much current that they break off the substrate.

I keep the air stone near, even after they hatch and are wrigglers.
The round black dishes are brine shrimp hatching containers, where artemis eggs are hatched and used for first foods when the fry are free swimming.

They can also be raised in a breeder box, hung in the same tank they were laid in.

above are wriggler using their yolk sacs for food, at this stage do not feed.
Below free swimmers.

do not feed until they reach the free swimming stage, then multiple small feedings per day are best.

Niyaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2019
Here's how I raise any cichlid fry artificially.
Although given time, parents will learn to do it themselves.
I remove whatever the spawns on (with out exposing eggs to air).
Put the egg covered rock or pot in a tank, with an air stone near enough to simulate the fanning action the parents do, without so much current that they break off the substrate.

I keep the air stone near, even after they hatch and are wrigglers.
The round black dishes are brine shrimp hatching containers, where artemis eggs are hatched and used for first foods when the fry are free swimming.

They can also be raised in a breeder box, hung in the same tank they were laid in.

above are wriggler using their yolk sacs for food, at this stage do not feed.
Below free swimmers.

do not feed until they reach the free swimming stage, then multiple small feedings per day are best.
Thanks again.. now i started artificial breeding.. they are wigglers since today morning.. how long would it take for them to start free swimming.. so that i will start feeding them brine shrimps..

image.jpg

Niyaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2019
Now I can find worms in and out of pot with wigglers inside.. can it be harmful or wigglers get eaten by worms?? Please help!!!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
How do i know if its the worms you said?? Please explain briefly

From the pic looks like detritus worms which some aquariums will have them. They will show up if you over feed or don't gravel vac the substrate. There is another specie of worm that will glide across the bottom on the glass planarian worm. They may be harmful but not sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store