How to settle a silver and a malaysain green in a 90 gal?

Al Cat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2015
The Republic Of The Feelippines
i got a new malaysian green arowana for my 90 gal and my silver is fighting him. the malaysian green doesn't fight back and lets the silver attack him. the guy i bought him from had it with other species of arowana (no dither fish) rtg, super reds, silvers and jardinis (all juvenile 5 - 7 inches) in 600+ gal aquarium. they all seem friendly with each other. will the fights stop and will the damage to the fins heal? what would you guys suggest i do. the malaysian green is about 5-7 inches and the silver is about 12+ inches.

Last edited:

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
My advice would be to remove the new fish. The tank isn't big enough for both of them. The silver ownes the tank and will try to drive off or kill the intruder.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
^^+1 its the silvers teritory plus the green is a future threat to the silver so he'll want rid of it , your tanks to small for a single aro fully grown so you've got no chance with two.
The previous owner had loads of juvi (un aggressive) aros in a 600gal thats why he didn't have problems , if they were fully grown even in a 600 he'd have major fighting going on

Al Cat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2015
The Republic Of The Feelippines
thanks will be getting a new tank then

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
Question will a aro grow to 2feet in a 90gallon
Yes, and more than two feet, even in such small quarters. It would probably die due to stress before it got much bigger than two feet.
90gal is way too small for a Silver.

To the OP: Arowanas can be very territorial towards one another, keeping a group in a sufficient tank would be more likely to work out than only the two. Keeping only two arowanas is usually a bad idea, keeping three together would spread the aggression, but in your case one aro already owns the tank, you can't really change that fact.
Plus, bigger tank. 90gal is too small.

aotechs

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2015
Columbus, OH
You have two aggressive and territorial fish in a small space. It simply will not work without one being injured or eventually killed, even at a young age it's risky. Start with a larger tank and a divider, then remove the divider after some time passes and see what happens. Keep another tank ready for emergency removal. Attacks are very likely to occur again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store