How to start a fish store?

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
CDickes1988;2608400; said:
So in other words, cut your sales by like 85%. It sucks, but the truth is LFS make alot of their money by selling fish to people who have no idea what their requirements are.
thats because most lfs dont give a crap so never tell the truth.

awault

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Madison
If you ever want to make any money plan on doing all or most of the work yourself. You will need to work evenings and weekends because this is when most people shop. Also plan on setting up a tank maintenance business as well if you ever want to make any $.

ilovearowanas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2008
Hawaii
www.myspace.com
my friend just holds a fish store at his house!
haha if your house is big enough and you got alot of space,
maybe you could just build a shelter for you fish and stuff and get a license for it.

Iafishkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2008
Des Moines, IA
ilovearowanas;2609357; said:
my friend just holds a fish store at his house!
haha if your house is big enough and you got alot of space,
maybe you could just build a shelter for you fish and stuff and get a license for it.

This isn't a bad way to start out. I don't know what your housing accomodations are, but if you had the room you could build one of those steel building for cheap these days.. especially if you think of 12 months rent, and on top of that most places want a 3-5 year lease agreement. With your own building you don't have that, plus it would bring value to your home, also with a new steel building it would be easy to run the plumbing and when they poured your cement slab just have them pour a few extra walls and bingo you have yourself a new monster fish tank... it could easily be a few thousand gallons. Stock it wisely with fish that would bring customers in and you now have a great attraction. All while being on the edge of your property and if you were get out of the hobby and close up shop...

well now you have an awesome garage with a awesome tank. Any mans dream...

Good luck... :headbang2

angeltc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2008
NoVa
Iafishkeeper;2609395; said:
This isn't a bad way to start out. I don't know what your housing accomodations are, but if you had the room you could build one of those steel building for cheap these days.. especially if you think of 12 months rent, and on top of that most places want a 3-5 year lease agreement. With your own building you don't have that, plus it would bring value to your home, also with a new steel building it would be easy to run the plumbing and when they poured your cement slab just have them pour a few extra walls and bingo you have yourself a new monster fish tank... it could easily be a few thousand gallons. Stock it wisely with fish that would bring customers in and you now have a great attraction. All while being on the edge of your property and if you were get out of the hobby and close up shop...

well now you have an awesome garage with a awesome tank. Any mans dream...

Good luck... :headbang2
:iagree:Sounds good

Wheat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
U.S.
I have owned a store. a good rule of thumb is to take the largest estimate you have and double it, maybe even triple it. Takes a while for people to get to know your new store, so have plenty of $$$ in reserve for slow periods. It's probably a better idea to purchase an existing store, than to start a completely new one, especially in this economic environment. Sadly there are a lot of shops closing these days. An accountant can help with your business formation (at least where i'm from anyway). Also, be prepared to work 12h/7d a week.

Benfica

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2008
Ontario
Ya, i have tryed to find stuff on how to start fish stor eon gogle but no luck. I gonna "try" to not be like other lfs buy selling proper fish to people i know can handle and no people that do anything to sell. Ya i have heard the term " keep the bread and the butter fish to" ,that pretty true. Thanks alot for alot of those posts.

Anyone got any more information. Really looking for an average cost of seting one up?

Wheat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
U.S.
Even a small sized store 2500 sq.ft. or so can hold over $ 1mil of inventory alone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store