How to stop Aimara wolf fish hitting lid

MarkTheFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2023
Egg crate is really lousy as a tank cover. It does nothing to slow down evaporation; it's also much more abrasive than a smooth glass or poly top, especially if it has any cut edges exposed to the fish.

I've seen some folks stretch netting across the top of ponds, securing it around the edges so that if a fish jumps the net just stretches and then rebounds. It's soft so will probably cause the least damage possible. Like eggcrate, it won't help with evaporation, but will be much easier on the fish.
So what do you recommend egg crate or no

bettapatua

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2020
My Aimara wolf fish keeps hitting the lid how do I make sure he doesn’t get hurt
In my experience with my wolves:
1. Try check your water parameter
2. Regular water change
3. Dim light also makes them calm
4. Use lids from PVC board or corrugated plastic board (i always use them), cause they're strong and soft

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
My Aimara wolf fish keeps hitting the lid how do I make sure he doesn’t get hurt
How long have you had it for?
If it’sa fairly new fish you could consider lowering the water level until the fish has acclimated and then slowly refill the tank over the next several weeks.

MarkTheFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2023
How long have you had it for?
If it’sa fairly new fish you could consider lowering the water level until the fish has acclimated and then slowly refill the tank over the next several weeks.
Will have him for 2 weeks on Thursday

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
Mine which unfortunately I lost about 6 months ago we just over 2 ' would regularly hit the top if I put my hands above it or sometimes when grabbing food so you need to make sure you use a cover that won't do damage, they hit it very hard at that size. I would think egg crate would be bad at the level of impact I had. I used Poly carbonate twin wall with nothing holding it down so there is a bit of movement

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store