Howdy

twitchy

Jack Dempsey
Nov 21, 2009
Western NC
His intelligence has been a source of amazement for me, a buddy of mine came up with a genius idea of attaching a small cord to a bell on top of the tank, and ringing it everytime I toss something in there to feed him and see if we eventually can't get Mook to communicate with me, anybody else tried anything like this? I can see him ringing it constantly though just to get a minnow in there to bully LOL.

How much do you guys feed your bass I guess is my first official question here, we feed him pretty much constantly, he eats like a dern horse, fortunately we have a creek close by the house and a bait store down the road so if we can't afford the minnows, he gets crayfish and even an occasional garter snake (man that was creepy LOL). We've kept him for two years so I guess we're doing alright, but is he supposed to eat like an elephant all the time?
Also had an outbreak of what I guess was planaria from god knows where, probably the bait store or creek I'm guessing... I know all the usual cures, but is there a chemical worm remedy that's safe for large predatory fish, we're having a time with them returning and I'm thinking it's the food we feed him from the creek and etc.
Thanks guys, I'm looking forwards to chatting with you guys.
Mook has become a member of the family, and I want to try do what I can for him.
I thought I was the only guy with a bass though, found this site and I was like, dang.. lol
-Twitchy
and Mook

Ps.
Thought I'd tell you guys the story about how he got his name...
A friend of a friend of mine is a rich lawyer with the best bass pond I've ever sank a hook in. He decided to allow us to fish there as it was overpopulated and we were tearing them up, like twenty something of them in two hours. Well the rich lawyer had a guy that worked for him taking care of the property, and the like, who decided that he didn't like us fishing there, and stormed off when we told him we were expected and spent the most of his day glaring at us. That was when we caught Mook and named him after the rich guy's henchman.

twitchy

Jack Dempsey
Nov 21, 2009
Western NC
Just an update, Mook lived a long and happy life. In 2015ish we had a winter storm that knocked the power out for several days and we lost him. He hung in there for a while and we were running water through the filter media with a battery powered pump but I woke up the morning of the third day of the storm and the pump's batteries had died sometime during the night... without the well pump working we weren't able to change his water enough to keep up with his bio-load and he didn't make it. To this day I still miss that fish, my brother once described him best as 'a weird little dog in a box', but we really loved and miss him. I hope this will serve as a cautionary tale to someone, if you're keeping a larger fish and the power goes out for any length of time, you've got a serious situation on your hands so try to plan for that way ahead of time. A generator or simply a good supply of fresh batteries would have made all the difference. It's amazing how attached we get to our pets sometimes, even the 'weird little ones'.

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
I know it is a few years gone by but do you still have any pictures of him? Ever end up getting the 150?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store