Humane way to end suffering Tang's life

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
wow-sorry he's not better! i wonder whats wrong with him..

LBathory

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
New Jersey
I would still give it time. I always see fish come in new and they do similar things. sometimes it takes a week or two for a fish to completely settle after a big transition.

azcummins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2008
Texas!
navygirl76;1888720; said:
wow-sorry he's not better! i wonder whats wrong with him..
Part of the problem could be that the previous owner had him in the same tank as 2 damsel fish that completely gnawed his fins down to his body. All he has for fins is bones. On top of that, his lower fins are down to raw flesh and he is missing scales as well.

If me makes it through the next few days, I'm going to put a blog called "how to save a tang" so you can see his progress back to life!

Yoji_嬰孩

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2008
rock in water
My cousin saved a yellow tang like that once, it was missing the majority of his fins and really beat up. Just make sure your params are at the right levels and keep him well fed with plenty of aeration in the water since he isn't swimming around too much. My cousins is a lot better and swimming around perfectly fine but his fins never grew back. Good luck and keep us updated on his condition.

serafino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
If worst comes to worst I would just pull him out of the water and keep him out. Slow deprivation of oxygen would be absolutely painless. Just don't give up too soon on trying to save him.

AW2EOD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
The East Side
After reading this whole post, I'm wondering why we're talking about killing a fish that you've had for less than 72 hours.

Let alone that the poor thing is in a 55gal tank but c'mon...it's normal stress. You say he was fine, before the move and now he's not...give it time.

azcummins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2008
Texas!
well I'll eat crow here and let everyone know that he is alive and kicking. He's eating the algae I put in the tank for him and he is a real aggressive eater- even the big maroon clown vacates the area when I feed the tank.

He doesn't do the lie @ the 45 degree angle anymore so I'm going to start a blog to see if I can get his fins to re-grow since he has - none.

As far as putting him in a 55 gallon tank - that was the previous owner's decision - I just inherited the tank.

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
well no wonder he was acting like that. He was in a crappy situation before and was mauled to look like that. Then he was transported and had his little life flipped upside down. I would have been hovering at a 45 degree angle too. :grinno:

I'm glad you didnt euthanize him. He doesnt sound like a gonner to me. Just keep babying him and make sure no one is picking on him.
He'll hopefully grow all of his fins back eventually too.

I dont know a lot about tangs, but there are a lot of fish out there with crazy personalities. Fish that get all butt hurt if you move a rock out of position and sulk in a corner for an entire day. (yes i'm talking about one of my fish)
So for some of these "intelligent fish" to act like that after a transport it totally normal. Some wont eat for a couple weeks after a move.

I'm pretty sure that you can use Malefix for saltwater. I would use some of that. Its awsome at healing that kind of damage and helps with stress too. Its not a medication so you can use it a lot and not have to hospitalize them

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
that poor thing! i didnt realize he was so ate up. well, hes eating so i am betting he will make it! good luck to the little guy..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store