Hunting invasive species

Do you do your part to control invasive?

• No, I'll start soon

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Galaxias here also suffer from introduced bass and are now limited to small pockets of river..
That's sad. Such cool little fish too. :(

Most australian laws are confusing at any time of the day, especially when it comes to animals. I hate to admit it but a lot of them work well though, we don't have a Florida level of invasive species here but the invasive species we do have are well established and probably impossible to get rid of completely.
Still Tassies a cool place compared to the rest of australia, It still has its own vibe and doesn't feel like the mainland when you are there. I didn't know trout were such an issue, you are right, they are a selling point from the govts point of view.
Most people don't see them as an issue, after I done some research into why I can't keep galaxias, I realized how much devastation they're doing.

Trout aren't the only non native species in our waterways, but they're the first thing that comes to my mind when thinking about fish that don't need to be here, them and goldfish...

They flip a coin, if it lands on the ground they ban it lol
Hahaha seems that way for some things :rolleyes:

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Removal of mosquitofish: use bottle traps or dipnets,seine nets also work., mosquitofish can be fed to cats, chickens and other birds, predatory fish and be frozen for later use as pet food.

Mosquitofish compete with and readily eat the fry of many other species such as pupfish, minnows of various species,gila topminnows, longspine dace and many others.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Removal of mosquitofish: use bottle traps or dipnets,seine nets also work., mosquitofish can be fed to cats, chickens and other birds, predatory fish and be frozen for later use as pet food.

Mosquitofish compete with and readily eat the fry of many other species such as pupfish, minnows of various species,gila topminnows, longspine dace and many others.
I've collected a few from a place nearby. Millions of them unfortunately

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I've collected a few from a place nearby. Millions of them unfortunately
Feed them to your other fish if legal (I'm assuming you can transport a few hundred on ice, a good food for African butterflyfish, cichlids, bichirs and many others.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Concerned about parasites and stuff. Only managed to catch a few with bottle traps, the water is full of weeds:IMG_20180324_110615.jpg

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Concerned about parasites and stuff. Only managed to catch a few with bottle traps, the water is full of weeds:View attachment 1310246
Put a pebble in the bottle for better effect, when catching fish with bottle traps I usually set 4 to six at a time on the bottom in shallow water, if your worried about parasites freeze the mosquitofish for a week or two, then thaw out as needed

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Put a pebble in the bottle for better effect, when catching fish with bottle traps I usually set 4 to six at a time on the bottom in shallow water, if your worried about parasites freeze the mosquitofish for a week or two, then thaw out as needed
That's just after I threw it in, the bottles sunk :)

I think duanes duanes said that not even freezing kills all parasites sometimes. Rather stick to my pellets thanks

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
That's just after I threw it in, the bottles sunk :)

I think duanes duanes said that not even freezing kills all parasites sometimes. Rather stick to my pellets thanks
Nothing really kills all parasites,
I'm always intrigued why people think store bought stuff is safer, as much of it comes from the wild as well lol

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store