Hybridizing cichlasoma grammodes?

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Contemplating adding a grammodes to my hybrid project (festaexcarpintisxjag) it would be replacing the jag.

Has anyone ever done it? Or heard of it? I know its theoretically possible given they are CA cichlids but do they accommodate to hybridizing or will the "mini dovii" kill everything?

They have the more pronounced mouth I like and are prettier then jags to me, also stay smaller so a larger group of people would be able to house the hybrid. Don't worry I plan on including the heritage to anyone I sell them too. So don't go off on that tangent you'll get nowhere with me lol. I feel like the combination of pearling from a carpintis and the freckling of the grammodes would end up looking beautiful.

I know the resulting hybrid would be mean as a hungry wolf but whatevs lol

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

gamerpond1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2012
Texas
Go for it should work any luck on those fry from festi and carp

Sent from my SM-T210R using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
The festae is still a bit small to introduce to my carp so I gotta wait a lil longer before I introduce

steve_b

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
Staffordshire, UK
I once had a female grammode breed with a male dovii. I called the offspring gramovii's :D

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

steve_b

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
Staffordshire, UK
I managed to grow a couple of the fry on to about 5" but don't have any pics. They carried far more dovii features than grammode. I did put a post up here when they spawned titled grammovii or dommode?

Wish I had kept a couple

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Yeah sounds like an interesting grow out, my green Texas laid eggs for the first time but my male festae isn't big enough yet so I couldn't do anything about it and my ropefish ate them haha, I would have separated them off with the eggs had I been ready

They are also going to my friends 120 soon so we can give this the best shot possible. I'm thinking of putting a tiny grammodes in my now vacant 10 ga (see my thread in general discussion called Gutted.) To see how it is

I really wish a. Stalsbergi could hybridize with green Texas since I have a nice sized male, the offspring would look crazy

gamerpond1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2012
Texas
Yeah sounds like an interesting grow out, my green Texas laid eggs for the first time but my male festae isn't big enough yet so I couldn't do anything about it and my ropefish ate them haha, I would have separated them off with the eggs had I been ready

They are also going to my friends 120 soon so we can give this the best shot possible. I'm thinking of putting a tiny grammodes in my now vacant 10 ga (see my thread in general discussion called Gutted.) To see how it is

I really wish a. Stalsbergi could hybridize with green Texas since I have a nice sized male, the offspring would look crazy

Might try a umbee too since the latest thread of the rio mag umbee hybridizing or might try asking bout buying some from him for the future

Sent from my SM-T210R using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store