i.d this "black catfish"

JOSCAR05

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2011
California
by mandibulars do u mean whiskers? haha if yes then they look pretty cool.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Almost 100% Black bullheads. Yellows have white mandibulars. Could be browns but blacks are known to look almost identical if not more yellow than yellow bullheads, the mandibulars are always a way to tell them apart though.
I agree. The browns that are local to me have very different jaw structure than these.

Correct. Mandibular barbels are on the lower jaw and maxillary barbels are on the upper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA

Yes, mandibulars are under the mouth/chin, maxillery are on the sides, and some cats have nasal/mental barbels on the top of their mouth.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Also be warned if you're going buy one. Bullheads are larger growing, extremely messy cats and to keep a single adult by itself you'd need at least a 75G with 50-60% weekly WCs, to keep them in a community, go at least 125G unless you want to be doing daily water changes. I change 50% of the water in my 75G twice a week with my big 8" yellow in it, I'll be moving him to a 180 soon enough though.

JOSCAR05

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2011
California
hey thanks i will take that into consideration.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
... Bullheads are ... extremely messy cats ...
Hey Dive, expand on this if you will, please. Because I'd not state so but we may be simply on different pages.

Bullheads inhale all foods whole and with gusto. Where is the mess? Poop? Sure they eat a lot and hence poop a lot, so they are not any messier than any robust-built fish of the same size, e.g., a koi.

Now pleco poop is needed a mess but that's the specifics of their digestive systems. Oscar is a messy fish as it eats by ripping things to pieces and not picking up a good part of them.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey Dive, expand on this if you will, please. Because I'd not state so but we may be simply on different pages.

Bullheads inhale all foods whole and with gusto. Where is the mess? Poop? Sure they eat a lot and hence poop a lot, so they are not any messier than any robust-built fish of the same size, e.g., a koi.

Now pleco poop is needed a mess but that's the specifics of their digestive systems. Oscar is a messy fish as it eats by ripping things to pieces and not picking up a good part of them.
Thats simply what I meant, not poop wise like plecos but rather the amount of ammonia -> nitrates that they produce. When I'd only do once weekly 50% WCs on my 75 with my yellow bullhead! striped raph! and Gibby in it I'd measure 80ppm for nitrates after 7 days so I'm now doing twice weekly changes.

JOSCAR05

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2011
California
thats seems like a huge bioload for 3 fish. and 2 waterchanges a week? commited haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store