Chicago
www.**************.com

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Very interesting thread.. i am learning so much... i love all the puffer species... do these puffers also grow teeth and need something to chew to file them down ...

cichlidgirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
upstate ny
The burrfish is eating a sargassum plant as i type this. Yes i have tried the mysis shrimp. Its one of the many frozen cubes i drop in. I noticed today the dogface ate on a mysis cube i dropped for him, maybe the burr will do the same in the next couple days. The burrfish seemed to prefer the silversides to the krill i fed him by hand today. He has only been in the big tank for a couple days now. I did take that advice and moved the dogface to the lionfish tank. The lions sit around and dont hardly even swim around so the dogface has the 75g tank to himself LOL. The lionfish are a lightweight young 4 to 5 inches and the dogfish is a heavy fatter older 5 to 6 inches.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Always defrost cubed foods & rinse. No need to add nitrate "juice" to your tank. Frozen mysis is a FW animal & should be soaked in Selcon & Vita-Chem or Zoe vitamins, before feeding out.

Yes, all puffers need crunchy foods.

cichlidgirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
upstate ny
I dont feed them goldfish for the reasons listed in that article. I feed frozen silversides , for the lionfish i take a whole silverside, spear it onto the end of a shishkabob stake and then wiggle it in front of the lionfish, they think its alive and strike it, that pulls it off the end since i put it so its barely on the end. I cant do that for the little burrfish since he is too small to eat a whole silverside, even the small ones , thus the hand feeding.

cichlidgirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
upstate ny
Never thought to rinse the cube. How do you do that, in a net ? What crunchy food do you feed a small burrfish ? Mine is only 2 inches

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
I defrost in a cup (with vits) & then drain into a brine shrimp net. Read the feeding article, lots of good crunchy ideas, bit & small.

How's the belly of the burr, concave or rounded?

cichlidgirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
upstate ny
The sides are full but underneath is slightly concave. That is why i have been feeding by hand.

cichlidgirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
upstate ny
The very small burrfish will eat on a clam/mussel in a shell that is same or larger than it ? I have not seen many of them smaller than 2 inches... I would like to avoid buying expensive snails for the tank if possiable but will if nessasary

cichlidgirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
upstate ny
If i wanted to set up a snail breeding tank for SW snails is it different than the article on snail breeding ? Any particular species easier to breed than others ? Im assuming a saltwater species is best since my puffers are saltwater species. Oh, and how many of them to start ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store