I Made It To The Regional Science Fair!

Ptrick125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown Texas
We had our school science fair in February about a month ago. I was one of the 1st place winners, so I made it to the regional science fair. :) This is my first time to win out of my 3 school science fairs (6th, 7th, and now in 8th) I am not really expecting to do extremely well in the regional one (kind of surprised I won at school :p ), but it will be a cool experience.

I did my experiment on the different acclimation methods for aquaria, and how effective they were for temperature. I measured how long it took for the method to reach the tank's water temperature. I used drip acclimation, (I made it drip pretty fast) the water changing method, (take out 10% of the water every 6 minutes) and the "float the bag" method. Of course, the "float the bag" method was the fastest, water changing was the 2nd fastest, and the drip took the longest. One of the reasons I think I did well at the school science fair was because I added lots of pictures of SW fish and inverts I have in my tank.

Do you have any tips/suggestions? I plan on bringing a 5 1/2 gallon with a mosquitofish or two to demonstrate, I think I will use a sponge or a mini HOB filter for the 5 hours.

I will try to get pictures of my board tomorrow :)

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MaddMaxx

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2009
Abu Dhabi/NJ
That's awesome man! Congrats!

It'd be great to see your board+presentation. Growing up, my moms made me do science fair every year and I'd be happy to give you any tips/pointers I can.

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
Congrats, would also like to see the presentation.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

hemiboo

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Charleston, SC
Congrats. I always just floated the bag for convenience, turns out there's some science to it

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

beex215

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2006
usa
do the baking soda volcano. guaranteed victory

Ptrick125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown Texas
Everything is packed up, and ready to go. I am using a 2.5 gallon with 4 mosquitofish to demonstrate the different forms of acclimation. I have a sponge filter and a piece of hornwort in there. Hopefully I can get pictures tomorrow morning :)

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store