I need some advice as to stocking my tank

Lars6

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2018
I am setting up a 20 gallon long (30by12by12 inches) planted tank. I am going to run a tidal 55 filter (250 gph). I was wondering how many fish would be appropriate for the tank. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
well first concern is plant friendly fish if youre having plants. and youre gonna want fish that get no bigger than 5-6" fully grown, but probably around 3-4" is ideal.

if you want some dwarf cichlids, i would seek out a pair of nannacara anomala. perhaps some rams as well.

my next inclination is to go with some poecilia of your choosing.

definitely include some otocinclus cats into your setup and a small school of cardinal tetras are always nice.

good luck with your tank!

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
I agree with backfromthedead. Except I would pick keyhole cichlids, with a group of tetras and otos or Cory cats.

Reactions: tlindsey

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Number of fish depends on the type of fish you want. What are you interested in? Then we can get more specific and give more suggestions.

Have fun - I love my little planted 20 long - it's like a little microcosm that draws you in. :)

Lars6

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2018
I was thinking maybe the following:
- school of cardinal tetras (maybe 6)
- 6 Cory’s or 3 octos (can’t decide)
- a South American puffer from my other tank (he’s not aggressive)
- a German blue ram
- maybe 4 cherry barbs or rummynose tetra

Is this too much?

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I think it would look more effective with one larger group of schoolers like recommended above, so yeah 12 of the cardinals or rummynose.

I also like the cories just because they add so much activity and are great at grabbing food from the substrate.

If you want to add your SAP, maybe set it up with those guys first, then see what happens with your nitrates (and be sure he's not nipping at anyone.) Since puffers are messy you might be full there. If not, then consider adding something else like your ram. (I personally like Bolivians better than Blues - more hardy, very interactive, and a bit bigger.)

In my densely planted 20 long I had a Schouetedeni puffer (RIP) with schoolers and cories and my nitrates were 0. After he passed away, I added a dwarf pike, a whiptail catfish and a circumcinctus spiny eel. Nitrates still minimal to none - this is a well-established tank though. You'll just have to see what happens.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store