I need some help with my Bichir!

TheBombDiggity666

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2017
So I have recently adopted three baby bichirs from school. They were doing fine, but my one Senegal has formed a massive lump on his belly that has been there for a few weeks. Some days its a little larger, but it has been growing, and it's still their even when I starve.

He is eating and is as active as a typical bichir, but he's not growing like the others, and the lump doesn't appear to be moving down his system. I fear he ate some gravel, which I was planning on removing but it is still (or at least I thought) too large for their mouth.

I fear it could also be a blockage from the Ewos pellet I have been feeding. Any suggestions or recommendations? Am I going to have to put him down?

Some pictures are attached.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

TheBombDiggity666

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2017
if it is a blockage a little catfish usually helps but it is a food to feed sparingly because it is very oily
Thats good to know. I have been strictly feeding him spirulina coated artimea and peas for a few days in hopes that it would flush him out. He hates it, though.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
My sen has one too. I tried Epsom salts,I feed catfish, didn't help. My wife and some of her colleagues are vet med and believe it is a tumor. Mine has had it since about 3" and is now around 5" he is extremely slow growing he was my first poly that I currently own. Everybody is bigger then him now. Mine eats fine and acts fine. He chases the big female del around trying to get her to mate. When he starts showing deterioration or that he is no longer "happy" I'll worry about it. As for now he's active and happy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store