I need to put down my stingray. Need advice on how too.

ajsmith235

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2010
Southern Indiana
What was the deal with the previous owner? Did he just not take care of the ray?? what the hell happened? MM's are SUPER expensive...but 300-400 bucks is a good chunk of change not to care what happens to the ray... hell i do 50% water changes on my 2 ray tanks every 4 days, even tho my params say i don't need to....i do it just to be a safe guard.

USMCtanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
wa
snow;4782342; said:
BTW it was the passed owner that caused the main damage to the ray. My water is great. I own 4 more rays (2 marble and 2 reg motoro). I'm no newb when it comes to rays but like I said it was a shame that I couldn't save him. End of story.
well at least u tried lol. dont forget tho. even an expert can come on here an learn something new. i have seen noobs just give an idea an see it save someones fish. just saying. post a thread next time(maybe i missed it but i surf the ray forums offten). get some opinions., i would have loved to help u brain storm an fix this ray up an know others would have loved to as well. lol no one knows everything. we all are realy friendly here an only want best for ur ray, next time make a thread see what others think. never know could save ur ray. seen it time an time again. but hey like u said ur no noob when it comes to rays so why u asking what to do. kill it. end of story

sorry i just would have liked to have seen a thread a week or so ago about ideas or what maybe wrong instead of finding a thread asking for help to put a ray down. i just love rays so much i feel bad that i couldnt have at least had the chance to try and help u. thats all. good luck sorry for the loss

USMCtanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
wa
i know ur no noob when it comes to rays like u stated. but before u kill it, would u at least try an make a thread an try an save it. i know ur water is perfect but whats perfect many ray keepers have different ideas of perfect. make a thread spend some time, post pics, water parameters, temp. tank setup what have u tried to feed, whats the worse than can happen. he dies, or someone might have an idea on how to fix it. anyone that knows rays an has been around the block knows we are all noobs, we learn things every day about rays. many things are still a mystery. maybe im wrong an u looked for advice on another forum but def not here. and any experienced ray keeper that thinks he knows it all shouldnt be keeping rays. so make a thread lets all ban together an try an save it. unless u just wanna kill it that bad,

snow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2009
B.C.,Canada
Well the past owner had him in a 125g tank with a silver arowana and some other misc fish. As far as I know he bought the ray from a lfs here which feed it feeders. He also gave the stingray feeders. I didn't ask how long he had the ray for but I remember seeing this ray at the LFS so put 2 & 2 together and I think he had him for around 3 months. Now when I aquired the ray was forehead was sunken and some bone was breaking through it's skin on the back. Also the under side was very red, was bad water I assume as all I saw on his tank was 2 aq 110's, did not see any intake/ outake tubes from a canister filter. With a silver arowana plus a large stingray like this those filters can't handle that. So all in all I assume the ray began to become sick from his bad water and it never truly recovered.

snow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2009
B.C.,Canada
USMCtanker;4782432; said:
i know ur no noob when it comes to rays like u stated. but before u kill it, would u at least try an make a thread an try an save it. i know ur water is perfect but whats perfect many ray keepers have different ideas of perfect. make a thread spend some time, post pics, water parameters, temp. tank setup what have u tried to feed, whats the worse than can happen. he dies, or someone might have an idea on how to fix it. anyone that knows rays an has been around the block knows we are all noobs, we learn things every day about rays. many things are still a mystery. maybe im wrong an u looked for advice on another forum but def not here. and any experienced ray keeper that thinks he knows it all shouldnt be keeping rays. so make a thread lets all ban together an try an save it. unless u just wanna kill it that bad,
I'm a member of 6 other fish forums. I don't spend all my time on mfk. I didn't make a thread on any forums though. I asked a local trusted ray keeper here in B.C. on what I should do.

USMCtanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
wa
snow;4782441; said:
I'm a member of 6 other fish forums. I don't spend all my time on mfk. I didn't make a thread on any forums though. I asked a local trusted ray keeper here in B.C. on what I should do.
ok cool thats what i figured, an hoping lol. i know u know ur stuff an by no means attacking u. just wanna help an make sure all options where thought of before killing it. seen way to many people just come on here an ask how to kill it before try all options. so normal for me to ask ? lol so hope i didnt come across wrong. i am a crapy typer and cant spell worth crap lol. hey good on u for saving the ray an trying. sorry it didnt work out tho, but looks like u did all u can do. when u going to put it down

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
Sorry you were not able to save the rescued ray. I know its hard to see such a fine ray go down due to lack of the other owners care. But at least you tried.
Dont let people get to you either.. If you noticed, that guy didnt even know what he was talking about. He was trying to tell you to fatten it up with sea food and drop it back in the ocen when it was better. Not sure, but dont freshwater rays need freshwater, not saltwater..lol
Anyway, thanks for trying. Glad to see someone out there doing what they can to help when they can. Its never about the money, its about the ray.. Its something all us ray keepers have. A love for the hobby, if you would call it that..
Chin up, you did what you could. thats all that could be done.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store