H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
Little female with her eggs
View attachment 1390492
@ MrsE88 MrsE88

wanted to ask your opinion in regards to sexing GTs.. is it true that only female GTs show the two white vertical stripes on their bodies like the ones shown in your female pic above?

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
@ MrsE88 MrsE88

wanted to ask your opinion in regards to sexing GTs.. is it true that only female GTs show the two white vertical stripes on their bodies like the ones shown in your female pic above?
No, those are more related to mood rather then gender.
You can see this young male shows his pretty often.
6BC82F4E-2A3F-439F-9011-CA34EC9DB0C5.jpeg7A3A38A0-713D-41ED-A7B5-3F626A75E5A0.jpeg

It’s not as prominent as some females, but it’s still noticeable.

Reactions: Rocksor and Jexnell

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
No, those are more related to mood rather then gender.
You can see this young male shows his pretty often.
View attachment 1392942

It’s not as prominent as some females, but it’s still noticeable.
Are they both male? Especially the one on the right with the said white vertical stripes..

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Are they both male? Especially the one on the right with the said white vertical stripes..
Yes. The male in the top picture by himself is the same (smaller) male on the right.
He has spawned many times before I put him in with his dad.

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
Yes. The male in the top picture by himself is the same (smaller) male on the right.
He has spawned many times before I put him in with his dad.
Just when I thought I’ve found a sure way to sex them... hahaha
I saw eggs in my filter but was unable to tell which of my two GTs lay them..they could both be females though which would be a bummer

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Just when I thought I’ve found a sure way to sex them... hahaha
I saw eggs in my filter but was unable to tell which of my two GTs lay them..they could both be females though which would be a bummer
What else is in their tank?
I’ve had countless spawns and their eggs cling tight to whatever they spawn on. Unlike scatter spawners, their eggs can end up everywhere.

Do you have pictures of them?

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
What else is in their tank?
I’ve had countless spawns and their eggs cling tight to whatever they spawn on. Unlike scatter spawners, their eggs can end up everywhere.

Do you have pictures of them?
I only have two GTs in the whole tank(120g).. My tank is bare bottom with only pothos roots as deco.. could be the reason why the eggs got sucked into the filter as there's nothing to cling on.. from the look of the eggs, they were white so it's either the "male" didn't get the chance to fertilize them before they got sucked or I've got two females.. :nilly:

Do you mean pictures of both the fish? I'll try to snap some when I get the chance..

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
Another quick question; do both male and female GT display vibrating body behavior? It looked almost like a spasm..

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I only have two GTs in the whole tank(120g).. My tank is bare bottom with only pothos roots as deco.. could be the reason why the eggs got sucked into the filter as there's nothing to cling on.. from the look of the eggs, they were white so it's either the "male" didn't get the chance to fertilize them before they got sucked or I've got two females.. :nilly:

Do you mean pictures of both the fish? I'll try to snap some when I get the chance..
How very odd. I’ve never had eggs move. Then again I’ve never had them lay eggs on glass. Maybe they don’t stick to the glass as well as rock/plants.

Yes, a picture of both fish.
If you happen to see eggs again take a close look for evidence of an egg tube. It should be very obvious. Even if the female is small.

Another quick question; do both male and female GT display vibrating body behavior? It looked almost like a spasm..
They can. I’ve seen my females do it, but more often then not my males are the ones to display that behavior. Normally because they are trying to push the female to spawn.

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
Yes, a picture of both fish.
If you happen to see eggs again take a close look for evidence of an egg tube. It should be very obvious. Even if the female is small.

They can. I’ve seen my females do it, but more often then not my males are the ones to display that behavior. Normally because they are trying to push the female to spawn.
A few days prior to the discovery of eggs, I did notice the "male's" reproductive organ larger than usual.. however, I can't tell if it's egg tube or big wiener :naughty:
Plus, it kept showing male spawning behavior such as flaring, display of fins, twerking, nudging the other GT's genital & rubbing its body against the other GT..

Another thing that I've read on several sites regarding green terrors is that during breeding, the females tend to be more aggressive between the two? My "male" behavior has changed from timid(being bullied) to aggressive overnight which also led me to think that he might be a she..
Another likelihood is that "he" has grown quite a bit and is similar in size if not bigger than the female at the moment.. could this increase of size be the reason why the dominance has shifted?
They are both pushing 4" (could be slightly smaller cause just a rough estimate)

Here are the pics of them:
Pic 1(high possibility that this is a female)

Pic 2, 3 & 4 (the male in question)

Pic 5 (both together)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store